Ceramic Tile Q's

Old 11-30-03, 06:56 PM
Spudz
Visiting Guest
Ceramic Tile Q's

I just put a new 12" tile floor in my kitchen. was grouted today. The grout mix says to stay off the floor for 16 to 24 hours. At the end of that time is it just ok to walk on it for a day or so or can I go ahead and put the refrigerator and stove back in and have a working kitchen again. Also, any recommendations on sealing the grout lines? Should be pretty dry most of the time except in the area of the dogs food and water dish.

Old 11-30-03, 07:54 PM
Bill Syms
Visiting Guest
Don't forget to seal grout!

It is VERY IMPORTANT to seal your tile grout before using the floor. Grout is very porous, so it is important that the first thing the grout is exposed to is a silicone product that will soak into it. This will prevent other liquids and dirt from soaking deep into the grout. If not, in a very short time your grout will become darker and very difficult to clean.

Sealing the grout is no sweat, just read the instruction on the bottle. I would do at least 2 applications to ensure the grout sealer penetrates uniformally in all areas.

Old 12-02-03, 11:16 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bill,

What do you recommend for long term maintenance as far as cleaning and/or re-application of silicone?

Are grout cleaners worth it or should I just use a household cleaner (which one)?

Thanks

Old 12-03-03, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alex,

Take a look at the Grout Stain & Seal product on the Tile Your World website, an excellent product. Here's a link http://www.tileyourworld.com/catalog/default.php

Old 12-03-03, 12:44 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
aqua seal makes a good sealer also you want to get a penetrating sealer that will soak into the grout .If it is a water based sealer then you can just sponge over the entire floor,if a chemical based sealer then you need to paint the grout joints with it being careful not to get any on the tile.You also need to wait about a week before you seal to make sure everything is good and cured.when you go to seal make sure the tile is clean and free of any dirt or marks of any kind cause they will be permanent

Old 12-03-03, 12:55 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
www.aquamix.com is a good one..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: