Subfloor preparation

Old 12-01-03, 08:32 AM
binchen
Visiting Guest
Question Subfloor preparation

I plan to install tile in my kitchen. After I removed the vinyl, I found out there was a thick layer of adhesive used for the vinyl on the plywood. I tried to remove it with floor scraper and adhesive remover. But the adhesive sticks to the plywood so hard that I can only get rid of a few. My question is can I just lay down the Hardibacker board on the old adhesive with thinset or should I remove the entire old adhesive before I put the Hardibacker on? I am going to screw the Hardibacker board as well.

Old 12-01-03, 04:34 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
was the vinyl over an underlayment?

Old 12-02-03, 07:12 AM
binchen
Visiting Guest
The vinyl is over 1/2" plywood with 5/8" plywood underneath. I can remove as much as 50% of adhesive. Do you think it is fine for hardibacker board installation?

Old 12-03-03, 09:23 AM
I'd recommend pulling up the 1/2" plywood, & laying another 5/8" layer of plywood. The remaining adhesive will give you future problems with your tile install.

Another thought, what's under the 5/8" plywood, IOW, what's the size, spacing, & span of your floor joists? These issues are crucial to a good tile job.

Old 12-03-03, 12:32 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
if you use thinset under the durock,use durock not hardi backer,then you should be ok providing you're joist system is suitable good call dell get back at us and let us know

Old 12-04-03, 09:30 AM
binchen
Visiting Guest
The joist is 2x8 spacing 16" on center with 10' length. The subfloor is 5/8" plywood with 1/2" plywood on top of it. If I can remove most of the adhesive, can I keep the 1/2" plywood? Also, why can not I use hardibacker board? What is the reason to use Durock?

Thanks.

Old 12-05-03, 03:24 PM
If you have a 5/8" subfloor, then just install Schluter Ditra over it and then your tile. You'll be using a modified thinset to put the Ditra on the plywood and preferably a non-modified thinset to put the tile over Ditra.

Ditra is 1/8" thin, so if you are concerned about height issues, this is the way to go. It's also much easier to install than cement board or Hardibacker. It cuts with a box cutter... and there's no dust involved.

Your deflection value is L/480, good enough for tile, not good enough for natural stone.

Old 12-05-03, 05:08 PM
I recommend more subfloor then just the 5/8" plywood. The additional 1/2" would bring the subfloor upto spec, before you use the Ditra.

Old 12-05-03, 05:15 PM
Ditra doesn't need any additional wood on top of it. That's the beauty of the system. It is the only product over which tile can be installed using either 5/8" EG plywood or 5/8" OSB, in this case.

Old 12-06-03, 06:17 AM
You made it sound like I was talking about putting the additional plywood subfloor, overthe Ditra.

Had he said 2x12's on 16" centers spanning 10', I might agree with you.

But he said 2x8's spanning 10'
Maybe I'm just a believer in "overkill"

Last edited by Carpets Done Wright; 12-06-03 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-06-03, 06:35 AM
Yes, which results in a deflection of L/480, the most important figure we're dealing with.

Old 12-06-03, 07:04 AM
ee3
Visiting Guest
this is where I have my problem David.IT IS NOT THE ONLY product. He has choices.And to answer his ques.You can use Hardi instead of Durock.

Old 12-06-03, 07:18 AM
That's precisely what I said to you, Eric, in a post that was unfortunately deleted. All you had ever mentioned was Noble's products, never anyone elses.

Don't give me that malarky.

Perry: Overkill is fine as long as it doesn't create disadvantages. One disadvantage is that he'd likely have to deal with a transition, or a higher transition at that.

There's only one product that can do it over 5/8" wood. Even Noble wishes they had a product like Ditra. They don't.

Old 12-06-03, 08:07 AM
ee3
Visiting Guest
David ,again you are wrong !!Do you need to see the test report from the TCA! Call them up, the lab tech is Noah .Try not to make your opinions into facts that you can not back up/And you mention other products???Maybe we should both try to deal in facts!If you cannt back dont say it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: