repairing linoleum

Old 12-03-03, 07:02 AM
zookeeper
Visiting Guest
repairing linoleum

Friends,

I have an 8 year old linoleum floor in the kitchen that gets EXTREME use (four kids [teenagers who invite friends] four dogs and my husband and I) The finish is all gone. It's white (bad choice) but the floor never looks clean, even after I wash it. In the high traffic areas the brown marks won't wash up.

It's expensive to replace this stuff so I was wondering if anyone could give me advise on refinshing this floor, preferably painting it another color (like brown) first.

Would this be a less expensive option, is it easy to do, and does it really work?

Thanks for any insite,

ABC

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-03, 10:10 AM
ee3
Visiting Guest
I would post this question down the list on the Vinyl Flooring site.

Old 12-03-03, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hi zookeeper, welcome to the forums.

Might try some floor paint on it, but I doubt it will hold up for long. Actually I'm surprised you got 8 yrs out of a linoleum floor. IMO it's junk to start with, but that just my opinion, lots of folks out there makin a killin iinstalling linoleum, vinyl, and laminate floors. None of these materials are a good choice for a flooring surface.

Old 12-03-03, 10:58 AM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
first you need to determine if it is real Lino or vinyl. If it is vinyl, you can go to a flooring store and buy a floor stripper and a floor cleaner, and a floor polisher. That should do it.
Make sure you use the right cleaner to clean the floor too.

Dell, I know that is your opinion, and I respect that, I just find it hard to believe. that's IMO.
Lino is an all natural product, laminate is becoming a huge section of the flooring market, and vinyl's have been selling strong for years.
Don't get me wrong, you probably have a great reason for feeling as such, I just don't understand it.

Old 12-03-03, 01:37 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
by the time you go through gettin the stipper ,stipping the floor,trying to get paint to stick which may or may not work and if it does what is the gaurantee that it will last?None,you're better off just getting another peice of vinyl weather or not it is lino, and redo it.You'll get a lot more life out of it and the asthetic value will be worth the effort

Old 12-04-03, 08:23 AM
florcraft,

Just a matter of personal taste, to me I like the looks and feel of tile and real hardwoods. But hey to each his own!

And that's the only type of flooring I do, you want the other stuff, I send ya up the street. That's the beauty of working for yourself, you can turn down the jobs you don't want or like to do or have your name on.

Old 12-04-03, 05:30 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
Well, I cannot argue with the fact that tile and hardwoods are the longest lasting products on the market thats for sure.

Old 12-04-03, 06:51 PM
D
It really does not matter if the floor is lino or vinyl, a worn out floor is a worn out floor. I would not count on any kind of finish to bond to it that will last. Resilient floors have alot of elasticity, so an enamel won't stick for very long, since enamel is a "hard" paint and I can't see a latex paint holding up to foot traffic. Like you said the floor gets alot of traffic. I would put a layer of underlayment down and put down some commercial vinyl composition tile.

Old 12-05-03, 07:14 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
V.C.T. is durable and that would work for the kids, but I do not think you will like the maintenance on it.

Old 12-05-03, 09:23 PM
D
The advanteges of VCT are : cost, wearability, appearance for long term, and it's DIY friendly. Maintinencewise its not like they live in the Mall of America. Household traffic won't kill it and if it should begin to look shoddy it can be stripped, sealed, and waxed. If you buy more than one color and lay out a pattern it won't look industrial.

Old 12-22-03, 09:17 AM
zookeeper
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thank you for you replies.

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to everyone.

Christmas, work, etc.

I not sure what I'm going to do about it yet. I think the floor might be vinyl. We built the house so I might have to go back to our plans and figure out what this stuff is.

I personally like the laminate wood flooring we put in one of the room. It's wearing like iron.

That was 1600$ worth of flooring and the kitchen is a bigger room.
\
Thanks again. I may have more questions in the future

ABC