Replacing Ceramic Tile Floor

Old 12-08-03, 09:57 AM
chacal
Visiting Guest
Replacing Ceramic Tile Floor

I am thinking of changing our kitchen tile floor. Its a fairly large area with an island in the center. Adjacent to the kitchen / breakfast area are the formal dining and family areas which have wooden flooring whcih are flush with the tile floor. I just wanted to get and idea as to what is the best solution here.

A) Lay the new tile over the old one?
B) Remove old tile and then lay the new one. How much more effort is option B over A for a relative novice.

Thanks so much.

Old 12-10-03, 03:05 PM
neflamingo
Visiting Guest
Why are you wanting to replace the tile? Do you just not like the color, or is it cracked, broken, stained or in bad shape in any way? How are you going to transition the height difference if you go over the new tile?

Old 12-11-03, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kim is right, really need to know the condition of the existing floor before could advise what's the best option to take here. This is a ceramic tile right? If so, besides the transition between the tile/wood, also have to consider things like doors, (jambs will have to be shortened). Unless this is on a slab, need to know what's under the tile, floor joist - size, spacing. and span. Alot to consider, but we can help ya here. Post back with some more info & we'll get started.

Old 12-11-03, 01:39 PM
chacal
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for getting back to me. The tile is absolutely fine. Its just that we don't like the color. There's only one door but yes the transition to other areas does present a problem. I guess its taking off the tile then?

Old 12-12-03, 06:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As long as the current floor is solid, I'd really lean towards tiling over the top of it. There's transition pieces that can be bought to deal with the height issue where the tile meets the wood floor. Schluter makes a couple of different pieces for this application, Reno-V or Reno Ramp should work, you can take a look at them on this page; http://www.schluter.com/english/prod...section-a.html
You'll have to shorten the one door jamb, but that's no hill for a climber.

One other thing, what is under the tile? As I said, if this is sitting on a slab, it's a slam dunk for tiling over the existing floor, if it's on a wood sub-floor, and it's real solid, I'd still tile over it.

Tearing out the existing tile would add alot of work & mess to the project, not to mention removal of the old material from the site. As long as the floor will hold the extra layer of tile, I go over the old stuff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: