Laid some tile this weekend! :)

Old 12-08-03, 09:33 AM
flyjetta
Visiting Guest
Laid some tile this weekend! :)

Just a few questions.. how long does thin set last before you have to stop using it? Towards the end.. the thinset started to get a sandy type texture and was harder to work with. I checked the tiles this morning and they seem fine.. one tile though sounded hollow on one side.. the other side was fine.. should I be concerned about that? The tile isn't in a high traffic area.. do I need to pull it up and re-apply the thinset?

When I was doing it I realized that I suck at measuring.. and was wondering if it is possible to cut a whole room out.. placing the tiles and spacers with no morter. Then after you have the room placed, pick up the tiles (they would be numbered.. lay down morter, then lay the tiles.. do you think it's possible??

How do you measure around objects that are round (like the toilet hole (the hole in the ground) flange? It looks like it will be smack dab in the center of a 12X12" tile. I think that most of the tile will be covered so I'm thinking of just cutting it in half and working with it from there.. but that doesn't solve the circle.. any help would be appreciated!!

Old 12-11-03, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The amount of time thinset will last depends on what type it is and on weather conditions. Most thinset manufacturers have guidelines as to "pot life" (how long you can use one batch).

The thinset may "skin over" if you leave it exposed too long on the floor. Pot life is usually around 20-45 minutes and skin time is 5-10 minutes. Only trowel as much thinset you can lay tile into in 5 minutes.

Measuring around a toilet flange is easiest when you've come to that point in the installation. Buy another toilet flange the same diameter beforehand. You'll need it later on

When you have your tiles installed on three sides of the flange, measure the distance it is from the surrounding tiles. Subtract the width of the grout joint on all three sides and transpose these measurements onto a tile. Take your newly-purchased toilet flange and put it upside down on the tile. Align the three marks to the perimeter of the flange and trace the circle with a felt pen.

Voila! There's your cut-out line.

In the space where this tile will go, remove the thinset for now. You'll need to cut the tile, which may take some time.

If you don't have a tile store with a saw close by, you'll need to cut it yourself. You might not have a grinder with a diamond blade on it, which is the preferred method. Let us know and we'll guide you through what you'll need to do.

Cutting it in two won't solve much. You'll still have to take the semi-circle out with a saw or angle grinder. If you leave it in one piece, it'll look more professional.

David

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: