Mildew

Old 12-08-03, 11:20 PM
NewDorpLane72
Visiting Guest
Mildew

Hoping that this question is appropriate for this forum, what's the best way to remove mildew from grout?

I know it seems like a question that is self explanatory, but I am half satisfied with the performance of cleaners like Clorox, Tilex, etc. Plus, even in a well ventilated area, these chemicals are way too harsh.

Are there any remedies that I might have overlooked? Also, has anyone tried the 'oxyclean' solution?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-09-03, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depends totally on how deep the stains are.

If it is just surface staining, oxyclean might work.

But if it is staining that goes deep into the grout, there isn't anything really to take care of this or grout that has aged in this way.

You might want to consider regrouting in the extremely darkened areas and then blend into the areas where this problem was not as bad.

Im just a Plumber, so that is purely a guestimate on my part.

Old 12-11-03, 08:56 AM
kralspace
Visiting Guest
I just finished re-grouting myself to get rid of the mildew problem I had. The tile is 25 years old so I decided to replace all the grout by using a Dremel with a grout bit (not a tile bit). You have to be very careful not to cut into the tiles and this will happen. After I had it completed, I sprayed a bleach into the spacing to kill any mildew hiding on the wall base. I then applied the new grout and sealed and for now, all is well. The next question would be how to prevent the mildew from coming back. I guess timely maintenance is the key.

Old 12-13-03, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Timely maintenance is to be used when you haven't addressed the problem in the first place.

If mold and mildew appear on the grout, chances are it's coming from underneath. For mold and mildew to grow, they need moisture, darkness, food and poor ventilation. A wall or floor cavity certainly provides this.

You can slow down the re-occurance of these two by using bleach and those other products... and then seal with silicone caulking (not spray). This is only a temporary measure, but it will last longer than not caulking the area.

There is only one way to stop mold from growing in or between the grout and the wall cavity. First, you waterproof the wall with a membrane. Then, use a non-modified thinset to attach your tiles. This eliminates the "food" factor from the equation. Latex-modified thinsets, wood, gypsum and paper are all breeding grounds for bacteria and fungi when wet.

The best thing to do is to keep the area dry. If it's a shower, squeegie or towel-dry the area after each use. If you have a shower door, keep it open after using the shower, too.

Removing the grout and replacing it will only delay how soon mildew will reappear. You have to get to the source of it.

David

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: