Grout texture

Old 12-15-03, 08:39 PM
flyjetta
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Grout texture

I just made and applied grout.. the stuff was super thick.. and was hard to push in the cracks.. is that the way it is? It was thicker than the thinset even.. after sponging it, it seemed ok, but xxxxxxx was it thick

Last edited by chfite; 12-15-03 at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-03, 09:30 PM
solr
Visiting Guest
grout

I have done this in the past with floor tile and a rubber trowel and I don't remember it being that thick, but it is heavy. It should stick to the trowel, but be easily pushed around into the spaces.

Old 12-25-03, 05:24 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
not enough water in the grout, did u mix it yourself??

Old 12-25-03, 08:01 PM
Sounds like you should have added a bit more water. Grout needs to have a creamy texture - a bit stiffer than cake batter. You want it just soft enough to easily fill the spaces between the tiles.

Old 12-26-03, 10:09 AM
J
Even though a very stiff grout mix is more difficult to apply, my experience is that it will still dry hard and perform well. Probaby certainly better than adding more water in the middle of the job! Anybody have any different experience?

Old 12-26-03, 05:16 PM
The only problem I've had with a stiff grout mix is the extra effort it takes to work it - and sometimes not completely filling the spaces. Get it too wet (enough to flow on it's own) and it doesn't cure right - one job crumbled on me within a few months.

Old 12-27-03, 09:42 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
if you don't break a sweat when grouting then it aint right.Grout is supposed to be thick and difficult to work with, thr polymers that are put in grout are different than those in the thin set and require small amounts of water to work effectively.

Just make sure you smash the grout in the joint and fill the voids completely.Use just eneough water in you're surrey wash to break down the layer of grout on the top and to smooth the joint.If you use too much water not only will the grout fail,by cracking and shrinking you will remove the pigment in the grout and it will appear blotchy,and stained white like someone took bleach to it and turned it white in areas