saltillo tile grout lines - HELP!

Old 12-22-03, 09:59 PM
mermaid
Visiting Guest
Unhappy saltillo tile grout lines - HELP!

hi there,
we've purchased 4" x 4" white glazed saltillo tile for our kitchen countertops. we got some 2" x 4" single edge bullnose for the sides/border and some 2" x 2" double edge bullnose for the corners.
after laying the tiles out, i'm coming up with 0.5" grout lines (without having to cut any tiles). does that seem too wide? my tile guy says that you usually want wider grout lines with saltillo tile. is that true, in your estimation? i know it's somewhat a matter of personal preference, but i'd love to get your opinion.
we're also using sanded grout - is that the correct grout to use with saltillo tile? and if so, which type of sealer should we use once it's cured?
thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-03, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
" is as big as you want to go with any tile.

Narrow lines work best with counter tops, for the moisture issues associated with kitchen and bath counter tops.

Sanded grout is the correct grout for lines greater then 1/8"

NOTE: I personally have never seen a glazed satillo. Satillo tiles are usually very thick(1 inch or more) and no glazing.

If they are true satillo, make sure the wholetile is dipped into a bucket of clean water, just before setting it. If not the thick clay will suck the moisture from the setting mortar and leave a weak bond.

Old 12-23-03, 12:55 PM
marcovit
Visiting Guest
I think Mermaid means Talavera tile not glazed Satillo. Although if one didn't know the proper name for it I could see why you could call it that. I would try to keep the grout joint down to at least 1/4 of an inch I think it looks better IMHO. You don't have to soak these tiles in water but you should use a latex modified thin-set. And yes you need sanded grout. You don't need to seal the glazed tile but highly recommended to seal the grout. Ask your local dealer and see what products they carry.

Marco

Old 12-24-03, 12:24 AM
mermaid
Visiting Guest
hi Carpets and marcovit,
thanks very much for your replies. i think marco is right - our tile guy calls it saltillo (actually, he calls it "sal-i-tillo") but i've seen it listed on websites as talavera.
you should see our countertops - he laid the tile today while we were gone and the grout lines are all uneven and shoddy, ranging from 1/4" to 1" lines in some spots!!! it's awful. we're going to have to hire someone else to do it, i just don't think our guy has the skill required, or the sense to recognize it.
thanks again and wish us luck!!!