removing ceramic tile floor

Old 12-23-03, 07:39 PM
Marty
Visiting Guest
removing ceramic tile floor

What's the easiest way to remove a ceramic tile floor. I want to replace it with another ceramic tile floor. That stuff is tough. I tried a few wacks with a sledge hammer and it barely chips! Thanks.

Marty

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-03, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've done it with hammers and pneumatic chisels. Both are noisy and messy. The good side is that once you get started, you can usually break out large chunks if the tile was layed on an underlayment (particle board or cement board). Use a 24" - 30" wrecking bar and start prying under the underlayment.

A note of caution. Wear gloves and eye protection. Tile shards are razor sharp.

Old 12-24-03, 08:13 AM
Marty
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Dave. A pneumatic chisel sounds interesting.

Old 12-24-03, 10:21 AM
H
this will be my spring project!!!!!

ok a very beginner question. our home is 50 years old in the north east. original hardwoods throughout except the foyer and kitchen. kitchen is lanolium and foyer is tile. my question is that the is about a 3/8 inch wood floor under the tile......... anyone know if this would be the sub floor...... i am thinking that someone put down plywood as the subfloor so that the ceramic tile would sit better..

it may be premature for my question as i have yet to rip into it but i was thinking that 3/8 inch is way too thick for a subfloor....

Old 12-27-03, 07:17 AM
Habs-
That 3/8" plywood is too thin to be the subfloor. It's probably the underlayment for the tile or vinyl. It's nailed, screwed and/or glued to the subfloor to provide a surface for the final floor material (tile or vinyl).

You'll need to take the underlayment up in your foyer. The thinset mortar used to set the tiles bonds permanently to the plywood and it's almost impossible to get a decent surface for new flooring.

The kitchen may be another story. If your flooring was perimeter glued (adhesive only applied around the edges) you can rip the vinyl up and you'll only have to clean up the places where adhesive was used - or you can cut them out and replace the underlayment. If the vinyl was glued everywhere, you're better off ripping the underlayment with the vinyl.

Are you sure the underlayment is 3/8"? I haven't seen 3/8" plywood for several years so you may have a problem finding 3/8" underlayment.

Old 12-31-03, 09:24 AM
Atrail
Visiting Guest
Info about the Pneumatic Chisel

Can someone provide information about the Pnuematic
Chisel ? I'm going to try to remove 40 year old
bathroom tile and it seems impervious to normal
hammer blows. I assume one is available at Home Depot/
Lowes/Walmart, etc. ??

Thanks for the help,

Atrail

Old 12-31-03, 04:09 PM
Marty
Visiting Guest
Pneumatic Chisel

I used a Ingersol-Rand air chisel. They're cheap, about $20.00. It came with some chisels too. It needs 80-90 psi to work effectively. It did my whole kitchen ceramic floor. Buy an extra retainer spring in case yours breaks (mine did). Be sure you get safety glasses, work gloves, hearing protectors (the kind shooters wear) and a good mask for breathing.