Premixed Thinset?

Old 12-25-03, 07:28 AM
Madmp3zz
Visiting Guest
Premixed Thinset?

I was in a hurry and needed to get my bathroom floor down by xmas so I could get the toilet in, so while at home depot buying some morter I ran across this premixed thinset by Tile Perfect, it's called Spread & Set 1.

What a "INSERT EXPLICATE WORDS HERE"......

I'm going on over 48 hours and still not dry, have a dehumidifier in the room to hurry the process and still not ready. It's like clay..
Needless to say it's xmas morning no toilet and 15 people coming over for dinner...

In my haste to hurry the process along. I tried to cut corners, I should have just stuck with the quick dry powder.

Can I grout this stuff and just hope they don't shift, or is there some secret to getting this "CRAP" to dry faster?

What a disaster...... THe wife is freakin'

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-03, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Madmp. I've used their premixed thinset on a couple of projects and it's worked fine.

The stuff wasn't rock hard the next day, but the tiles were firmly adhered and I was able to grout with no problems. I'm not certain it's supposed to get rock hard anyway. A little "give" would allow for some expansion and contraction.

You'll probably see this too late to help, but if the tile is adhered, your could set the toilet and ask everyone to be a bit careful.

Old 12-25-03, 08:13 AM
Madmp3zz
Visiting Guest
Thanks Dave....

I was worried about the thinset being to soft.
When I did my kitchen, I mixed my own and it hardened over night. 12-14 hrs.

Old 12-25-03, 11:50 AM
ee3
Visiting Guest
pre mixed is another word for mastic and not the best choice!

Old 12-26-03, 07:10 AM
Madmp3zz
Visiting Guest
I made it....
Fed the wife wine all day....

I just installed the toilet and sealed it up with some tile caulk (for looks) and plan on doing it over today...

Toilet is awesome... bought one of those 1.6 gallon American Standard Hamilton's... Looks like a typhoon when you flush it...

Old 12-26-03, 08:08 AM
Good choice on the lavatory. As I'm sure you discovered, all toilets ARE NOT created equal.

When I replaced ours a few years ago, I got quite an education about the different flushing actions that compensate for the reduced water volume in the tank. Ours work great. First time, every time.

Maybe someone can help me understand something else, though. The government went bananas over wasting water flushing toilets, but lots of bathroom remodels now include multiple shower heads. Seems like a net loss, doesn't it? Like Yul Brenner said in "The King & I"........."It's a puzzlement".

Old 12-26-03, 10:04 AM
J
A 1.6 gallon toilet in a bathroom with a multihead shower still uses less water than a 5 or 3.5 gallon toilet in a bathroom with a multihead shower. Like them or hate them, I'm sure that the 1.6 gallon toilet saves a lot of water in this country (even with the occasional multiple flush). Just because you can't address all the problems doesn't mean you shouldn't address any of them.

P.S. If anybody is having trouble with their 1.6 gallon toilet, and if it's more than 5 years old, you might want to try replacing it with a new one. Designs have been improving a lot. You can buy some $100 toilets now that are pretty good, which any klutz can install in 15 minutes with nothing more than a wrench.

Old 12-26-03, 05:21 PM
I don't hate them anymore - but I sure used to. The old ones reminded me of the old military gag........."Flush at least twice, it's a long way to the mess hall"

The newer ones are great.

I would have to see some data to support the theory about multiple shower heads and low volume toilets. Us Missouri boys gotta be shown, y'know.