Removing Linoleum & SubFlooring?

Old 12-28-03, 08:25 AM
Adell40
Visiting Guest

Seasons Greetings All,

I am a lil flustered at the moment. We have to remove the linoleum in our nook & kitchen areas. The glue underneath the linoleum is really on the floor.

We also would like to put down ceramic tile but not sure that would be possible becuase the floor would be raised about 1/2" after putting down backerboard and the tile. There is absolutely no way we would be able to get a dishwasher in or out.

My question, how do you remove the current subflooring or is there a way around not removing it? Of course that doesn't seem possible, not to mention the fact the doorway leading to the other rooms will have about a 1/2 to 3/4" drop off, not sure if there is any transition that would work here. Please help!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-03, 09:44 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The vinyl has to go. The easiest way is to remove the vinyl and underlayment together. The easiest way to do this is to set a circular saw to 1/4" depth and make a big "L" shaped cut. You can begin to lift the underlay with a prybar at the corner of the "L". Safety glasses and leather gloves are a must for this project.

Old 12-28-03, 10:32 AM
Adell40
Visiting Guest

Daniel, thanks so much for your expedient response. I took a measurement around the vent and it appears to be 1/2" underlayment , the same should apply I am sure about cutting into it and prying it off. Is there glue that I would have to contend with?

This is scary for me never removed any thing like this before but I have to especially since I notice a wet spot near one side of the wall, not sure where a leak could have possibly come from. The only thing above is the roof and below some water pipes and heating vent but do not notice any leaks are anything like that....will have to check thoroughly.

Thanks again...you are awesome

Old 12-28-03, 11:34 AM
D
Before you rip it all out, what is under the 1/2" plywood?

Old 12-28-03, 11:36 AM
Adell40
Visiting Guest
Daniel,

Here is a pic of the area around the vent which shows a 5/8 - 3/4" floor and the 1/2" underlayment. Any comments or suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks

Not sure if the link works. Anyway underneath the underlayment is another flooring that is 5/8 - 3/4" thick. You can easily see the seam, where the underlayment lays on top of this other flooring.

Last edited by Adell40; 12-28-03 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-28-03, 12:59 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
can't see the pic ,but from i can 8nderstand you would want to get in between the first layer of flooring and the ply that is being used for the underlayment of the floor you now see and tear that out.

How old is this house?Be careful when you get to this original
floor as it may contain asbestos.

But get this top layer and the underlayment off first and get back to us and we'll take it from there

Old 12-28-03, 01:11 PM
Adell40
Visiting Guest
The house was built in 1990, we bought it in 1994. Do you think there could still be an asbestos issue?

Old 12-28-03, 01:19 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
no worries,I'm curious to know what they used for an underlayment though for the vinyl did you get that up yet?

Old 12-28-03, 01:33 PM
Adell40
Visiting Guest
I have not pulled the underlayment up as yet, just realized the kitchen cabnets are resting on the underlayment as well. I see a lottah work ahead of me. Any ideas on removing cabinets?

Old 12-28-03, 03:30 PM
Adell40
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Originally posted by floorman
no worries,I'm curious to know what they used for an underlayment though for the vinyl did you get that up yet?
The linoleum was resting on an underlayment that is 3/8" of what appears to be particle board that is 4' X 8'. Underneath this is more of what appears to be particle board that is 5/8" thick.

What am I putting down on top of this subsurface (5/8" board)? Remember we would like to install ceramic tile. The kitchen cabinets also rest on top of the linoleum/underlayment.

Growing a lil weary here!

HEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPP!

Old 12-28-03, 08:51 PM
D
Is there quarter round moulding at the side of the cupboard? If there is you can see for sure if the cabinets are on top of the underlay.

Old 12-29-03, 07:22 AM
Adell40
Visiting Guest
Yes there is quarter round on the side of the cabinets, also the cabinets are for sure on top of the underlayment, you can see this underneath the dishwasher as well as underneath the side of the cabinet it is somewhat visible and shows the linoleum as well.

Thanks again!

Old 12-29-03, 06:45 PM
D
You can rent a toe kick saw to cut the underlay out in the toe space under the front side of the cabinets and cut as close as you can to the sides with a circular saw then clean it up with a chisel and hammer.

Maybe the thing to do would be to rent a scraper machine to remove the vinyl from the plywood and rather than use Durock you could use Shluter Ditra under the tile. Either way the vinyl has to go before tile goes in. The plywood would have to be scraped pretty clean.

Old 01-02-04, 09:26 AM
Adell40
Visiting Guest
Change 500, looks like we may be going with wooden floors...still got plenty of research to do thou!