Finding center of room in an L shaped room

Old 12-28-03, 09:47 AM
Bobbiew
Visiting Guest
Finding center of room in an L shaped room

We are getting ready to install ceramic tile in our living room,dining room area which is L shaped. How do we find the center point to start? Do we find the center point in both rooms or what?

Old 12-28-03, 12:11 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
you got the idea,find the center of the 2 spaces and snap lines where they intersect is the place you want to start you're layout

Using 3/16 as a grout line thickness determine what the size of the cut will be along all the walls, by laying tile off the line to get you closer to the wall when you can't get any more full tile in measure the distance between the last tile and the wall minus a 1/4(for the grout line and a little for movement) that will be the size of the cut.Now if the cut is s ay under 4" then you want to move the starting point over, off the line you already have,1/2 of a tile, in other words find the center of a tile and lay that mark on the line and make a new mark to start from , that will make the cut on the wal bigger and there will be less waste.

Before setting any tile make sure the lines you have on the floor are square with each other and not with the walls.If they are not square, determine which wall is out of square and fix the line on the longest wall or the wall that will be seen the most and you can adjust the cuts on the wall as you go,but do not run this tile out of square using out of square lines.

Does all that make sense ,i hope so,if not or you have any more questions then back to us and we'll help ya out

Old 12-28-03, 02:24 PM
Bobbiew
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick response!
I am going to print this out and let my hubby read this. If we have any more questions I will post back.
Thanks again Floorman!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: