Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Basement cermanic tiling questions. I searched and still un-clear

Basement cermanic tiling questions. I searched and still un-clear

Old 12-28-03, 07:28 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement ceramic tiling questions. I searched and still un-clear

At first I was thinking of using laminate wood flooring. After reading the warranties I quickly ruled this out. Then I jumped over to carpet-tiles or a berber carpet. I really dont like carpet. Now Im pondering the thought of using cermanic tile ( the concrete floor is below grade ).

From searching I went downstairs and used a four foot level and my floor is pretty level. the only place IM concerned about is near the pump pit. The bubble favor 1/8" towards non level near the pit. Also from knowing basements the floor is slopped towards the pit. I believe this wont be a problem?!

From searching I believe I will have to use a thin set mortar. Correct? If I use 12"*12" tiles this job shouldnt be that hard right? Just start out by snapping lines in both directions and follow right?

Also one concern is I have 3/4" real wood floors on the first level. Will the thinset when curing give off a high amount of humidity? It appears the wood flooring is set on felt paper.

Thanks

Thanks

Last edited by caster; 12-29-03 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-03, 07:47 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
you sound like you have a good handle on things.You dont need the floor to be level,only flat!!Thin set is the way to go.(not premixed) The only other big question is ,is your slab dry or wet.You want it to be basicly dry.If you put a piece of plastic or rubber ect. do you get wet spot under it?

Old 12-28-03, 07:53 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i havent done the plastic. i left cardboard boxes on the floor for a day or so and they were dry. had some pails of drywall compound left on the floor and no wetness. are those good enough tests?