repairing cracked grout in new bathroom

Old 12-30-03, 08:22 PM
BMeier
Visiting Guest
Question repairing cracked grout in new bathroom

I just recently completed a bathroom addition which included tile floor, tub surround, half the walls and a walk in shower. I had the tile work laod for me but now afet the cold weather has set in and the addition has settled I ahve several cracks in the joints that run along the walls.

Do I need to take out this cracked grout and re grout it or should I just try to grout over the cracks? Should I replace the joint with something more flexable such as caulk?

Any help is greaqtly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-03, 09:27 AM
neflamingo
Visiting Guest
Are you talking about the joint where the floor meets the wall? If you are, replace the grout with sanded latex caulking. You should be able to match your grout color.

Old 12-31-03, 09:57 AM
BMeier
Visiting Guest
yes, the joints that are cracking are were the tub deck meets the wall, down the side of the tub deck by the wall and in the shower pan floor along the wall.

Would you recommend removing the grout that isnt cracked as well and using the sanded caulk all along these areas?

Old 12-31-03, 10:30 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grout is a poor choice for a joint between two surfaces not in the same plane. Whether to preventatively remove the grout or wait for it to crack is up to you, how much time you have, and how much you want to get this over with once and for all. It's not a foregone conclusion that all of it will crack, so you may just want to wait and see.