looking for advice - making a tub out of tile

Old 01-02-04, 08:02 AM
calizeus
Visiting Guest
Smile looking for advice - making a tub out of tile

I am going to be replacing a bathtub and surround. The bathtub is one like you would by at any home improvement store. I would like to replace it with a more custom made tub. The bathroom is on a slab, so I would plan on doing the following. I will frame out a tub with 2X4's, put up a cement backerboard, and tile the entire tub (floor, sides, and walls), then install a drain near where the drain was before along with the faucet.

I'm basically looking for any input that anyone may have pertaining to this. For example, is it a good idea to use tile where they could be standing water. If so, do I need to use any special type of tile, grout, adhesives, or backerboard for a project like this. Thanks in advance for any response

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-04, 03:25 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You wouldn't be able to frame it and have cement board hold all that weight. You would really need to form and pour a cement tub to achieve the structural integrity to contain water. The floor beneath would need to be VERY beefy to hold it too.

Old 01-02-04, 06:32 PM
Daniel is right.

Your basically building a small swimming pool in your bathroom.

Old 01-03-04, 11:38 PM
J
i just built a roman tub, it came out sooo nice. i framed it out with 2x6's used 3/4 plywood around and inside the tub put the rubber pan in . then i laft it (no staples in the pan, staple to the wall but bend the laft in towards the plywood. mixed up some wall mud and mudded it. after we glued thepan together we tared all the spots we glued to insure no leaks, don;t wanna rip up all the marble.