painting ceramic tile

Old 01-03-04, 08:59 PM
scoers3
Visiting Guest
Question painting ceramic tile

I am redoing our bathroom and have had this ugly gray and white ceramic tile floor. They are little squares. I hate them lol .I have been told I can paint over them with a oil based paint after taking sand paper to them and then a primer. I need to know this is true before I do anything. Ripping them out is out of the question. I am on a budget. Just need a little advice. Thanks so much.

scoers3

Old 01-03-04, 09:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, you can do it. Visit a paint store to get the right paint. Be aware that the end result will look exactly like what it is -- painted tile.

Old 01-04-04, 07:08 AM
scoers3
Visiting Guest
Question painting ceramic tile

Do I need to polyurethane it afterwards?

Old 01-04-04, 03:13 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
i dont believe you will have to poly the floor when finished,however i do think i would take some acid and wash the floor with it first before painting ,forget the sandpaper and get some sulfamic acid crystals and use that on it to remove any oil or grease and anything else that may be on the tile.

Also keep in mind that this will only a temporary fix and will need to be redone in a year or so maybe 2,but eventually will need to be tore out and redone

Old 01-04-04, 06:57 PM
scoers3
Visiting Guest
Unhappy painting ceramic tile

Ok now I am confused lol. I was told that sanding it would help the primer to adhere to the surface, and then after painting it polyurethane would make it stronger and keep my floor longer lol . The floor is only about 10 years old and has no cracks or anything wrong with it. It's just ugly lol . It just needs a face lift lol. Thanks

Old 01-08-04, 01:06 PM
MusicField
Visiting Guest
If you think the floor is ugly now, just wait until it is painted !!

Old 01-09-04, 06:35 PM
Bill Syms
Visiting Guest
HOLD EVERYTHING!

If you paint your tile floor with a product you can purchase yourself, prepare for a NIGHTMARE!

To make a long story short, you need a INDUSTRIAL coating on your tile floor if you want it to adhear and last.

Search the web under "BATHTUB COATINGS" and you will find a variety of companies that sell these types of coatings for floors (and how to properly prepare your floor for the coating).

NOTE: Whatever you put on the floor it will not wear very well (scratches, nicks, ect). You will have to baby it. Also remember the grout and tile will be all the same color.

Old 01-10-04, 10:00 AM
scoers3
Visiting Guest
Wink painting ceramic tile

I appreciate your response. Thank you so much. The tile and grout can be the same color. That doesn't bother me. infact that's what i want. but I do want to do it right and use the right products. I will definetly look for the item you suggested. Again thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: