Loose ceramic tiles and adjoining ones are becoming loose

Old 01-06-04, 11:34 PM
JefferyL.
Visiting Guest
Loose ceramic tiles and adjoining ones are becoming loose

My house was builit in 2001, and this summer one of the tiles became loose and you could tell when you walked over it. Now in the past few months several more have become loose. Actually about 5 or 6 of them.

At first I thought I'd wait, but it seems to be getting worse. Looks like it's time to have something done soon.

I really hate to have grout that doesn't match. Also I do not have any extras as I did not buy the house new, so are th old ones salvagable or do I need to start searching for new ones? And lastly will the entire floor need to be pulled up?

I'm sure I'll have a contractor do it, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-04, 11:07 AM
Kurtafs
Visiting Guest
Loose Tile

What type of sub floor do you have? In other words do you know what the tile is set on top of? Try tapping on different areas of your floor and you'll be able to hear a hollow sound where tiles are releasing. There may be several reasons why your floor is coming up.

Kurt

Old 01-07-04, 12:04 PM
JefferyL.
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response.

The house is built on a concrete slab and the tiles are about 12" x 12" ceramic.

I just counted the loose ones using your procedure and I'm up to about 8 loose ones. In July it was only 1 loose one, so it continues to get worse. If one comes loose, does it make the next one loose and so on?

Thanks again,
Jeff

Old 01-07-04, 12:38 PM
Kurtafs
Visiting Guest
Loose Tiles

I had a hunch your floor was on concrete. Without looking at your floor I would be guessing, but I would venture to say that you will continue to have problems. If you go to my site, you may be able to see what I am saying. http://advancedtile.com/ProLayment_cs.htm

To answer your question; No, tapping on the tiles should never cause them to release. In the flooring industry we have a term called "bond breakers" and that simply means things that will cause a bond to break loose, on concrete there are many.

I would suggest that you call the flooring contractor to see if they will still cover this installation, or at least work with you on this. GOOD LUCK.

Kurt

Old 01-07-04, 01:09 PM
JefferyL.
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick response. I also checked out your website, very informative.

Now comes the fun part...I bought the house used in March 2003, so I'll have to find out who the main contractor was and then maybe the floor contractor. That may take some time.

As far as the other questions on the first post. Am I looking at a complete tile removal? According to your website, I may be.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Old 01-07-04, 02:36 PM
Kurtafs
Visiting Guest
Loose Tile

Jeff,
it would be very hard to answer that without looking at it. I do however think you may be in more trouble than it looks like now. I hope you don't have to replace all the tile but it may be the best route. As for regrouting, it won't help at all.
Look for a good contractor in your area, that's the place to start. Check the method of install over concrete they use.
Since you're the 2nd homeowner, the original contractor may or may not want to get involved.
I hope things turn out for you.

Old 01-08-04, 08:11 AM
JefferyL.
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the responses. You've been a tremendous amount of help.

Jeff