caulking a shower

Old 01-11-04, 04:43 PM
jamfam3
Visiting Guest
Unhappy caulking a shower

We needed to re-grout the shower tiles. I did and need to also recaulk some areas. I was told to use sanded caulk. I did and it seems to want to stay wet, to the point that if I want to remove it, all I have to do is use my finger tip. My questions are thus:

How long does sanded caulk need to cure?
Does it ever "dry"?
Should I have used something else?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-04, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sanded caulk? Or are you talking about the grout? I caulk the inside corners & where the tile meets the tub with regular tub & shower caulk, it comes in colors to match most common grout colors.

Old 01-12-04, 03:07 PM
jamfam3
Visiting Guest
yes, the man said "sanded caulk".
That is what I put down all around the floor of my shower.
I had really good luck putting it down, I don't want to take it up if I don't have to.

Old 01-12-04, 04:27 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it's stuck well and does not leak I'd leave it. If it should begin to look funny, remove it and replace it with some 25 year silicone.

Old 01-13-04, 08:50 AM
Bill Syms
Visiting Guest
Shower pan

The reason the caulking is not drying is that you have some moisture in your pan.

What happens is that as your house settles, the walls of your shower loosen from the shower pan creating openings (sometimes very small) which lets moisture through. It never gets a chance to evaporate especially if you are using the shower regularly.

Take all of that caulking out of there. Inspect this border. If the separation is small you may need to carefully remove the grout in this border and regrout (I do this with a hammer and chisel, CAREFULLY). If the separation is large you may be able to remove the loose grout in this border and regrout.

But before you regrout this border you need to get the moisture out of the pan. I have a shop-vac with a blower attachment that works well for this. WATCH OUT! When you first start to blow this joint out lots of black smelly water will come gushing out (have plenty of paper towels standing by). Keep blowing this border untill no moisture comes out.

NOTE: The only place caulking should be used in a tile shower stall is on the shower door.

Old 01-13-04, 10:03 AM
neflamingo
Visiting Guest
I found this thread on John Bridge's Forum about sanded caulk and showers. If it doesn't answer your questions, try posting there.
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...r&pagenumber=1
For those of you who haven't heard of sanded caulk, it's made to look like the sanded grout, usually color matching. Sanded caulk is recommended any time you change planes in an installation.

Old 01-13-04, 05:02 PM
jamfam3
Visiting Guest
Thank you all for the replies. It's good to know there are people out there that have the same issues as we do!
I checked out the John Bridge site and got good info. I suggest it to all!
As for my shower caulk, it seems to be staying put. No discoloration or looseness. I'll stick with this and see what happens.
The sanded caulk went down well, was easy to manipulate, and easy to clean up. I prefer it over silicone for those reasons. I have yet to clean the shower with standard chemicals, though. If anything happens, I'll be back!! Rick