Wonder Board Install

Old 01-27-04, 06:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face Wonder Board Install

I'm going to put down granite tiles this weekend and in my haste to be prepared. I think I made a greivous error. I screwed down 1/2 inch wonder board with out fist putting down mortar on the subfloor.

The board seem stable and aren't moving. Am I kidding myself that everything will be okay? Should I take the WB back up and put down mortar. If I don't what are the consequenses?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-04, 04:35 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, absolutely take it up and put thinset under it. You are incredibly lucky to discover this error before laying your tiles. Buy a lottery ticket while you're at the store for the thinset!

Old 01-27-04, 05:04 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The purose of the thinset is to fill and voids between the CBUs and the plywood. Voids equal movement, no matter how well it's screwed down there will be voids. Voids equal movement, movement equals broken tile. Unscrew it ind put thinset under the wonderboard or you will be doing it later, it is good insurance.

Old 01-28-04, 06:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help. I did take it up last night and put down a premixed thin-set from Tile Right that I got from home depot.

I've been told, now that it's too late that the pre-mix is garbage and not to use it.

Would you suggest that I leave it or take it back up and use a different thin-set?

Thanks.