help with flooring information

Old 01-30-04, 03:02 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
help with flooring information

I have an area of my house that I want to re-floor. I don't know who thought that carpet was a good idea in a dining area.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the choices though. We've looked at sheet vinyl, vinyl tile, ceramic tile, laminate, hardwood, and more. Each of these choices also comes with many sub-choices.

The area being done is a dining area/kitchen area. It is very high traffic because our back sliding door is the de-facto entrance to the house. There's old gold fleck vinyl underneath the brown carpet and a plywood-subfloor under that.

We have 1 son (so far) and no pets.

We'd like something that will be durable and not have to be replaced any time soon.

One thing that I'd like to have is a fairly comprehensive explanation of the different benefits and drawbacks of each kind of flooring material. Most web sites tell how great a particular material is but they never discuss drawbacks. Precautions or possible problems would also be good to know. I was recently reading about tile installations when I read about deflection for the first time. I don't know how many tile web sites never mention deflection.

I don't even know what factors we should be looking at in making our decision but I'm sure that durability is a concern of ours. I believe we have about 500-600 square feet and up to $2000 to spend although it would be nice to preserve some of that for other projects.

Please help me find more comprehensive information on these topics and help me make a good flooring choice.

Old 01-30-04, 05:33 PM
florcraft
Visiting Guest
Too much to go over. It would take me 1/2 hour just to go thru a presentation with you in store, but I will try to trim things down.

you have about 3-3.50 a sf to spend.
you can get a good laminate and install it yourself, or a good vinyl and get it installed.
forget about wood.
email me with a phone number and a good time to call, and I can give you a quicker more detailed rundown, or I can give you my number.

Old 01-31-04, 01:23 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
like he said way too much to go into they all have their little quirks.Having said that though you cannot go wrong woth a properly done ceramic floor they last forever and with very little maintainance to boot.But there ar requirements that have to be met so if you want to consider this then back to us and we'll give you all the details

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: