Cutting ceramic wall tile

Old 02-01-04, 01:38 PM
Gerry51
Visiting Guest
Cutting ceramic wall tile

Hello
I need to know about cutting 4 1\8 tile to install a 1 inch tile in a diamond shape. If I cut the 45 deg needed on the 4 1\8 to install the 1 inch tile then I will lose the natural taper of the factory edge. Will this look odd? If so how do I do this?
Gerry

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-04, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gerry51,

Hello & welcome to the diy forums. We've been doing a bit of reorganizing here of late & looks like your ? might have gotten overlooked in the shuffle, sorry for the delayed response.

I'm picturing this as the 1" tiles being accents with the 4" tile pattern, laid in diamond pattern right? I'd use a tile saw & make sure you cut each 45 degree cut the same, with a small grout line it'll look fine when you're done I think. Happy tiling & let us know how your project turns out.

Old 03-21-04, 01:36 PM
Gerry51
Visiting Guest
Talking Cutting ceramic wall tile

Hi
I just wanted to let you know that cutting the 4 1/4 tile for the 1in. accent tile turned out great ! And the best thing is my Wife loves it.
Their is one thing that will help on your self help pages is how to do corners. I know that some tiles have formed inside and outside corners but American Oelan doesent make them for the Matt Biscuit tile. I had to cut and guess that it would look ok. I think to do it over I should have cut at 45deg. and butted the edge but thats hind sight. But it might help others and make the job go easer and look better.

'' Something I would like to warn others about is mixed tile in sealed boxes! American Oelan had a little quality control problem, and it became my problem. We bought Matt Biscuit (The low luster looks Great) But mixed in the box was 7 Gloss Biscuit tiles. In the evening and on a gray day they were not noticeable but when the sun came out and shined brightly they stuck out like a sore thumb. I ended up removing the tiles and did a little damage to the wall board, Boy does that mastic stick. What a added mess that was and I would like to warn others about.

Thanks to your site the first tile I have done turns out great.''
Gerry