Ceramic Tile Backsplash Removal Help

Old 02-06-04, 09:03 PM
mkkristen
Visiting Guest
Ceramic Tile Backsplash Removal Help

We just bought a new house and when we pulled out the 1970s double oven, we found that the ceramic tile backsplash did not continue behind the oven. I don't know if I will be able to find the same tile to put in the open area. It is going to show(at least most of the area will) since we are putting in a freestanding range in its place. How would I go about removing the ceramic tile? It appears to be adhered directly to the drywall. Do I really just have to chisel it away or is there something I can do to speed the process up? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-04, 06:13 PM
ilketile
Visiting Guest
depending on how much you want to remove you may be able to take a saw with a blade for masonary and just cut whole section out to be removed. because even if you chisel it out you are more than likely gonna have to replace drywall as well. so may be easier to take out as a whole piece

Old 02-07-04, 06:19 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
depends some time the glue cystalizes and the tile fall off the wall when coaxed a little,other times they rquire blasting caps to remove.Pick a good spot like at the end where the tile meets drywall and get something flat under the tile and see how easy it is to pop off,hopefully it will come off easily enough so you dont damage the drywall too bad.Once all the tile is off then scrape the loose paper and glue from the wall and get as flat as possible then tile