ceramic tile

Old 02-07-04, 06:36 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ceramic tile

Should I use 1/4" or 1/2" backerboard over 3/4" plywood before I put ceramic tile down? Also a corner shower is already installed, does the backerboard have to go under the shower base?

Old 02-07-04, 10:09 AM
ee3
Visiting Guest
YOU CAN USE EITHER 1/4 OR 1/2 BUT YOUR SUBSTRATE WILL MAKE OR BREAK THE SYSTEM.JOIST SPACING ,SPAN, LAYERS OF PLY WOOD??THICKNESS?

Old 02-07-04, 12:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
substrate

joists are 2X10 with 16" spacing, there is 1 layer of 3/4" plywood on top of that, glued and screwed down, the span is 15' but am only going to tile over 10' of this as the other 5' is going to be a utility room. does the backer board have to go under the shower?
1/4" or 1/2" backerboard?

Old 02-07-04, 04:54 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
No it dose not need to go under the shower pan.I would go with the 1/2 backer board just to give it some beef.Install it according to the manufacturers reccomendations making sure you use the thinset under the c.b.u. as specified,it will fill the voids between the ply and the c.b.u. then screw every 2" on the seams and every 4" to 6" in the field,tape all the joints using the mesh tape and then attach that with thinset and the flat side of a trowel

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: