Removing 'vinyl'? tile

Old 02-09-04, 08:36 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing 'vinyl'? tile

I've sure learned a lot on these forums. I logged on and my question was at the top of the list: can I lay ceramic tile over old lino?

Now that I learned not to, I was removing the vinyl floor today. I've gotten the newest vinyl up but there are vinyl tiles (from the late 50's) underneath these. When I scrape these up (still sweating) they leave most of their black interior stuck to the floor. It has the consistency and look of heavy tarpaper (but it's not tarpaper)

My question is what product should I use to try and take the rest of these tiles off? Is there a solvent. any ideas appreciated.

I know this is the 'ceramic' forum but I thought those who lay ceramic tiles have come across this situation.

Thanks. Great forum. I'm at the beginning of several tile projects and this forum has given me the confidence to turn on the green light and go for it.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-04, 03:11 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
what you have there my friend asbestos in the glue and i would venture to guess that ther tile is as well.What you need to do is to encapsulate it with ardex feather finish and leave it alone.Are the tile 9" by9" if so then they are v.a.t. tile (vinyl asbestos tile) and really should not be thrown in the trash either.Better wear a respirator as well when messing with this stuff

Old 02-19-04, 03:06 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi;
Been there and done that! LOL! Ran into the same problem on a reflooring project. Be CAREFUL that old tile is dangerous stuff. Not only for what it contains but for the dust you will stir up! I had a relative who assisted me and refused eye, respirator and glove protection. Wel,l the end result was a trip to the hospital with conjunctivitis and a respiratory infection. Also the stuff is like flypaper!! I got stuck several times to the floor by it! Now I know how a fly feels on flypaper!!! LOL!!
Now what I did may not be entirely proper, but I put a good smooth layer of thinset over it and then put down Hardibacker and retiled over that.