Mortar on Walls?

Old 02-10-04, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Mortar on Walls?

Hello all -
I'm removing the "pepto pink" tile from my bathroom walls (the tile goes to about 48 inches a.f.f.) and underneath the tile it looks as though the drywall was cut out and 1" of mortar was installed. This creates an awful detail at the door frames and window.

The same occurs in the bathtub. The tile is 1/2" further out than the wall, except the tile goes to 7' a.f.f.

I'm planning on installing beadboard in the dry areas and new ceramic tile in the tub.

I guess my question is do I keep the mortar on the wall or remove it all and install green drywall with durock before applying my new wall coverings.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-04, 02:49 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
you sure this mortar is only under the tile and not all the way up?Most of the time the mud set goes all the way up to the ceiling.If and this is a big,you can get the tile off the wall without damaging the mud set then more power to ya,you may very well end up gutting the entire bath and starting over.

If you do get this off in the shower then the difference between the mud set and the new durock will be about 3/4 of an inch so you'll have to make that flush with the existing mud set somehow,maybe 1/2 inch rock and 1/4 inch dry wall i dont know whatever will work. get back at as and let us know what you come up with

Old 02-10-04, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In looking at the mortar on the wall, I can see where the drywall was cut and the mortar starts.

I've been having no problem getting the tiles off the wall using hammer and chisel. The mortar looks like it's in good condition. Some chips, but nothing major. I'm guessing I can patch those areas with some type os grout or patching compound.

My only issue with the mortar are the quirky details created with the protrusion of the mortar at the window and door frames.

If I can keep the mortar, I'll just as soon do that.