A couple of questions

Old 02-13-04, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A couple of questions

My kitchen floor is made up of 12x12 cermamic tiles laid on plywood.
There seem to be a couple of squeaks in the floor now.

Since my basement is not finished, is it possible to drill up through the sub floor and into the plywood to pull it down and make it firm? Will this do damage?

Second, what can I use to touch up a few little chips and dings that are on a couple of tiles. Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-04, 07:54 AM
J
The simplest way is to find the location of the squeak (by having one person above and one below) and gently drive a glue coated wooden wedge between the joist and plywood.

Old 02-13-04, 08:29 AM
Unfortunately I can't put a wedge or shim between joist and plywood as there is the sub floor beteen the plywood and the joist. There is a subfloor of diagonally run 1 x 6 (I believe that is the measurement) and the plywood is nailed into the subfloor.

Old 02-13-04, 12:09 PM
My kitchen floor is made up of 12x12 cermamic tiles laid on plywood.
There was your first mistake, this installation is without question destined for failure. The squeaks are the least of the problems.

Old 02-13-04, 12:14 PM
Why is that?
It has been like this for ages. I am just finding some squeaks in the floor now.

Old 02-13-04, 01:03 PM
The tile is set directly on plywood and there's no cracking? Hard to believe, but I suppose possible. Standard for laying the 12" tile would be 1-1/4" plywood subfloor, cbu, then tile. That's the way I was taught to set tile anyway.

Old 02-13-04, 01:17 PM
Anyone with a response to the squeaking.

Old 02-14-04, 08:43 AM
muley
Visiting Guest
About three years ago I tore up 700sf of tile layed on plywood, not a crack anywhere and one of the toughest tear outs we ever did. Plywood IS an acceptable backer for tile, it's not the best backer but it is acceptable and reconized by the Tile Council of America as such. I have seen several installations bonded to plywood and not a single failure.

Yes, you can screw up through the substrate and into the plywood, however, it may or may not eliminate your squeeking problem. You must determine the area that is making the noise, then decifer if it is the ply-substrate bond, or the substrate-joist bond that is causing your headaches. Pull a regester to determine the total thickness of your subfloor and get the proper depth screws, backing off 1/4" from the top of the ply/bottom of tile. For example, if your substrate is 3/4" with 3/4" ply that gives you 1 1/2" total thickness, so your screw lenth should be maximum 1 1/4". Hope this helps.

PS. While ply is acceptable, it must be sanded and plugged, B grade or better, and a total subfloor of 1 1/8" thickness. Having said that for the lurkers, I do not condone plywood as a backer unit, a cement board or ditra mat is all that we use.

Old 02-14-04, 09:08 AM
muley, I appreciate the reply. Thanks.

Old 02-14-04, 03:04 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
i have set tile over plywood for a long time before the c.b.u.,s came into existance without failure also and the union just sent out there bi-monthly news letter with an article on setting tile over ply taken from the t.c.a handbook.
I've always said you can do it under the right circumstances and you need to follow ALL the rules when doing so

Old 02-14-04, 04:19 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
its been in the YCA handbook for years ,Im with you floorman, it can and is done!

Old 02-14-04, 05:46 PM
muley
Visiting Guest
o add to my previous PS ply must be glued & screewed. Just in case soebody is using it.

Old 02-15-04, 07:14 AM
OK, after looking in my copy of TCA, I stand corrected, but as muley stated in his PS, not the best method. I'll still be using cbu or ditra under my tile jobs.