removing & installing new floor tile

Old 02-14-04, 11:11 AM
itscyn2u
Visiting Guest
Talking removing & installing new floor tile

I need really Good advice on how to remove existing "old" ceramic floor tiles from my Entry foyer and replacing with newer & larger ones on a diaganial.
The current ones are about 15 years old and ther are some cracks that have been travling for a few years now, There are NOT any foundation movement causing the cracks, just age and unlevel cement foundation when buit and floating from original install has broken down over the years.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-04, 12:57 PM
muley
Visiting Guest
First off, thewre is no magical formula for removing old tile, just elbow grease. Getting a mud dog (Flat steel pry stick) and ramming it under and lifting, pry bars hammered under, sledge hammers etc. you get the idea. I once was able to lift some weakly bonded tile off a bank floor with a rented machine scraper but even this was work.
Secondly, with all due respect, I am a little skeptical that your tile has traveling cracks because it's 15 years old. To put it in perspective, tile fould in some tombs in Eygpt was thousands of years old and still intact. In the world of tile, proper installtions can last many many years. Before you replace this tile you need to firmly establish why it cracked. I strongly suggest you use an isolation membrane to isolate the tile from further cracking. Just my $ .02

Old 02-14-04, 02:54 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
go to a rental store and rent a roto hammer hilti makes one bosch, dewalt, milwaukee just to name a few they have 2"flat blades that will do the trick.Get some safety glasses cause this stuff will cut ya and some good work gloves a twelve pack and a cooler, oh yea and a stool (so you can sit while a having a beer and admire you're work)good luck!