Need help mixing Thinset

Old 02-15-04, 10:40 PM
hoopers
Visiting Guest
Question Need help mixing Thinset

When I try to mix Thinset, I am using an electric drill with a paddle that was bought specifically to mix Thinset. I have 3 different drills, and they all start smoking while I am mixing it. I am mixing a 50 # bag in a 5- gallon bucket. I put all the water in and slowly added Thinset. When the mixture got half-way mixed, the drills smoke. Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-04, 06:08 AM
TileguyTodd
Visiting Guest
1-Mix 1/2 a bag at a time.
2-buy a new milwaukee 1/2" drill
3-Mix it loose to begin with and add a bit more powder.let it slake for 6-8 minutes then add a splash of water,remix and start setting tile.Good Luck!!

Old 02-16-04, 08:52 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just mix it by hand with a trowel.

Old 02-18-04, 04:15 AM
hoopers
Visiting Guest
l/2 bag works just fine. If I add as much water/thinset as it calls for, it is so thick, I can hardly spread it on the floor. I can get those ridges from the trowel to stand up real well without adding the entire half bag of thinset. Does this sound ok?

Old 02-18-04, 01:40 PM
C
use a metal paint mixer instead of the paddle. much easier on drill. also only mix 1/3 or so of a bag at once.

Old 02-18-04, 04:38 PM
hoopers
Visiting Guest
Yesterday, while I was gone to work, my dad brought over a SERIOUS drill, very heavy. Once I got it hooked up and the blade in the bucket, I didn't have any trouble. Think I will try mixing less. What about my mix? I don't want it to be weak, but if I mix l/2 bag to 3 quarts of water, I can barely scoop it out of the bucket. Does it need to be that thick?

Old 02-18-04, 04:39 PM
C
Originally posted by hoopers
Yesterday, while I was gone to work, my dad brought over a SERIOUS drill, very heavy. Once I got it hooked up and the blade in the bucket, I didn't have any trouble. Think I will try mixing less. What about my mix? I don't want it to be weak, but if I mix l/2 bag to 3 quarts of water, I can barely scoop it out of the bucket. Does it need to be that thick?
consistency of mayo. if you read the back just enough so it stands when raked

Old 02-18-04, 04:56 PM
I use a 1/2" drill and a metal paint mixer to mix thinset in a bucket. Works great and the drill never breaks a sweat.

Follow the instructions on the bag regarding consistency. Their recipe will give you the strongest bond. Too wet or too dry weakens your bond.