Ceramic Tile Shower

Old 02-16-04, 05:47 PM
jdbauer
Visiting Guest
Question Ceramic Tile Shower

I want to install a Ceramic Tile Shower in my basement. Does anyone have any good links to explain the process of building a Ceramic Tile Shower? What extra materials will I need for the shower floor and walls? What extra steps are needed to Ceramic Tile Shower vs. just a regular floor or wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-04, 08:28 AM
jdbauer
Visiting Guest
Experience

Does anyone have any experiences they can share from building a tile shower? I am wanting to use 12x12 on the walls and a smaller tile on the shower floor. I have tiled floors before but never a shower. What am I in for? Is it much harder then doing a tile floor?

Old 02-19-04, 12:49 PM
budnlori
Visiting Guest
Use concrete backer board, use fiberglass mesh to tape the joints and apply the tile to it. Similar to tiling a floor. Have patience and work in sections. Use the correct notched trowel for the tile you are using. Please use a good pan for the floor of the shower. PLEASE no flimsy plastic/fiberglass ones. Get a good heavy duty one.

You may want to check into some type of solid surface material for the sides. Easier maintenance and no worries needing to put on a liquid silicone sealer to the grout lines ever 2-3 x per year. Trust me I know.

Old 02-20-04, 03:36 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Mr bauer,waht you want to do is to construct you're shower pan from a mix of sand/cement that you mix yourself and then float the pan out of that and make you're slope and pitch as you go.When making the framing for this you want to lay 3 2x4's stacked on top of each other and nailed together.Before putting naything on the walls you want to do what we call a preslope with wire lathe for support,then the liner then the slope for the tile then the tile.

If you don't mind i'll move this to the tile section so some of the other guys can help with this.We'll keep all this on one thread so we can keep track of this.Get back to us and we'll get into this further

Old 02-20-04, 03:49 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
my magic moving powers must be on the blink trey posting this in the tile section Mr. bauer and we'll be more than happy to talk you through it

Old 02-20-04, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
floorman,

Unless you're the Moderator of the this Forum, you're magic powers are useless so let me mose this post over there.

I did provide great links to give good suggestions and pictures to assist. Did you look into them?

I'll move this now.

Hope you can help Mr. Baur.

Old 02-20-04, 09:17 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Thought that might be the case,i did look and you did great i was just browsing around and ran across his post and thought i could help. Thank you Mr.Alshire

Old 02-20-04, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
floorman,

Thanks!

By the way, what's with the formal stuff, we're family? I'm Doug, not Mr. Aleshire - you making me older than I feel! Half a century old and still kicking!

Thanks for the input

Have a good one!

Old 02-20-04, 09:50 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
i'm right behind ya at 40,and thanx for you're help!Doug