Help on tiling laundry room?

Old 02-18-04, 04:35 PM
Choppynuts
Visiting Guest
Help on tiling laundry room?

Not very experienced with this but am going to give it a try. The main issue i think i will run into will be the area around the drain. is there any way particular to do around the drain area? also the floor is fairly level except near the drain area and it isnt that bad but do i need to try and build that up any?

This has nothing to do with the laudrey room but my basement was recently tiled with 12 inch tile and one that was closest to the door crack right down the middle about 3 months after it was installed. i was going to replace that tile while we were in the process of doing the other room because the grout is the same. How do i get the cracked tile out and also do i clean all the grout out and just replace with fresh? will it be noticeable?

Thanks for any help you can provide as you can see I'm an amateur!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-04, 08:35 PM
rs0
Visiting Guest
for the drain area... you dont want to build it up or it wont be a drain....the way this is done is when you get to the drain the tile that will be layed where the drain starts to slope will need to be cut and put in in 2 pieces and when you grout just grout over your cut area................for the broken tile take a masonary chisel and hammer to get the old tile out scrape all the thinset out and the grout...........yes you can regrout just that tile and as far as the grout matching depends on how old the grout is .....you'll just have to do it and see

Old 02-19-04, 07:38 AM
Choppynuts
Visiting Guest
thanks and the tile and grout i will be replacing is only about 4 months old...isnt that a little odd for it to have cracked? it is cut to fit around the door and im not sure if the cold weather is what did this or not.

Also about the drain do i need to start there and work my way out so i can use the 2 pieces you describe or can i plan on starting where we wear and if it come to 3 or 4 tiles meeting there that will be fine also... not sure if you meant you must use 2 pieces or just telling me to use at least 2 pieces to meet there...

Thanks for the help!!!

Old 02-19-04, 02:09 PM
rs0
Visiting Guest
start your tile where ever you had planned on starting it..........what i mean by the 2 pieces is .....whenyou get to the drain area if the slope of the slope of the drain starts to fall in the middle of a hole tile take your saw and cut the tile at the point it hits the slope .....lay the piece of tile you cut on the flat part of the floor ...take the cut piece and lay it where the slope starts you will have to adjust the amoount of thinset you use here so the tile slopes down but also so the cut edge doesnt stick above the other cut edge.

Old 02-25-04, 10:23 PM
Choppynuts
Visiting Guest
Well i got it all laid down and im going to do the grout this weekend. we have a light brown tile what color grout should i use. we have something called camel i think will that look right... also thanks for the help it was easier than i though!!!

Old 02-26-04, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This maybe a bit late, as it sounds like you've already replaced the cracked tile.

Was the slab cracked beneath the tile as well? If so, the replacement tile will most likely crack as well. Did the installer use a a decoupling membrane under the tile, like ditra?

Old 02-27-04, 04:04 PM
Choppynuts
Visiting Guest
actually i never replaced the cracked tile yet i was planning on doing that at the same time but once i realized i would be using different color grout i figured i didnt have to do everything at once. although if i were bright i would have at least got the broken tile out and replaced while i had the morter mixed but that is just the rookie in me i guess. i really doubt that anything underneath is cracked or at least i hope not but i will surly let you know... again thanks all for the help it was very much needed and appreciated!!!

Old 02-27-04, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Definitely need to take a look at that. I do quite a few basement finishes in 2-4 yr old homes & it would probably surprise you how many basements of this age have hairline cracks in them. We use ditra under the tile in these jobs, this will prevent cracks from transferring thru the tile install.

Hate to rain on your parade.