Ceramic Tile w/ loose grout

Old 02-20-04, 09:57 AM
MesaQT
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Ceramic Tile w/ loose grout

I bought a renovated home, the ceramic tile on the bathroom floor is coming loose in certain places. The grout is breaking up and causing an unpleasant grittiness against my bare feet. I laid a rug down to escentially cover the floor so my feet will stay clean and not track the loosening grout through the rest of the house. Is there an easy way to fix this, or would it require removing the entire flooring and relaying the tile to do a good job. I suspect the tile was laid directly on the subfloor and some nails where used versus screws. The nails are now working themselves out which is causing the tiles to move and break up the grout. The entire floor isn't doing this, so I am unsure if it is isolated to a few spots, or if the entire flooring will eventually have a problem. I know the tile itself comes in a larger square pattern with 1inch and 3 inch tiles being held together with what appears to be string. The seller was kind enough to leave me the leftover tiles so if it is possible to repair in patches by finding the nails, replacing w/ screws and relaying the loosened tiles, I have replacements.... Wondering know if he knew I would need them... hmmm Any thoughts on the best way to tackle would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-04, 03:19 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Sorry to say but the floor needs to be ripped out and redone,whatever you do to it will only be temporary and will not last long either cause there is not room to do the repair correctly so it is permanent,meaning if the tile was set on the subfloor then it is wrong and will need to be tore out anyway,so if you fix what is there correctly then the repair will be higher than the existing tile,and so anyway it needs to be tore out and redone.

By the sound of it ,it won't be that hard to get rid of it anyhow.Just take a hammer a chisel and some saftey glasses and start baning away get all the chunck off the floor and make smooth so you can lay the c.b.u. over it and get back to us when you get it up so we can talk you through it