Best tool for cutting ceramic tile?

Old 02-21-04, 09:27 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best tool for cutting ceramic tile?

Hi,

I'm in the planning stages of doing a complete bathroom renovate. It's small (5x8) with a tub. The tub, stool & sink is going to be replaced, as well as all cabinetry, electric, etc. I'm ripping out the walls, the only thing I probably won't replace the ceiling, just reskim.

Anyhow, we're probably going to use a lot of tile, both around the tub, walls, etc. While I've done a lot of 'handyman' projects, I've never dealt with tile. So I get to buy new tools!

Anyhow, I did a quick look on the web at tile tools, I see all sorts of different types. Wet, dry, tools that look like a circular saw, tools that look like scorer of sorts & a tool that looks like a small table saw. Anything I should be looking for?

Thanks!
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-04, 10:49 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
You can certainly spend alot of money on tools for this trade iv'e got around 2500.00$ worth just for tile sittin in my driveway right now.So with you my friend i think we should be a little more choosier as to what you need to buy.

For the most part you can rent what you need as you go.The wet saw(table saw looking thing)you can rent at any rental place,or you can mark the wet cuts out and some of the box stores will cut them for you at about $1.00 apeice.Now ,if you have a 4" angle grinder sitting there you can purchase a dry cut diamond blade for the grinder at about $25.oo bucks.

The cutter for sraight cuts you can get for about 60$ or you can rent those too.

A good heavy duty drill for mixing thin set and also a mud whip 125.oo to 250.00$

Now all you're wet walls such as in the tub and /or shower you will want to use durock on the walls or a good c.b.u. i prefer durock don't use green board it wont work for a lasting tile job.

If there is anything else let us know and we'll answer to the best of abilities good luck!

Old 02-21-04, 02:29 PM
An alternative to renting a wet saw is to buy one of the inexpensive saws from Home Depot. I've done this a couple of times and saved a bunch of money by avoiding rental fees. I also recovered some of my cost from the first saw by selling it when the tile work was done.

Last summer, I bought an $88 wet saw from HD to do a kitchen tile job. It did everything I needed and worked just fine. I'm keeping it for now since my daughters are thinking of buying homes and dear old dad is expected to do the remodeling at a serious discount. Little do they know that they're about to learn the up close and personal definition of "sweat equity"!

Old 02-21-04, 04:42 PM
D
I bought a used wet saw and tile klinker from a co-worker for thirty bucks. Check out ebay.

Old 02-22-04, 10:51 AM
D
Tile snapper

Hi -

I'm not sure if this will help, but I wanted to tell somebody about my experience ....

I was getting ready to do a 16 X 6 room using 12" tiles in a diagonal pattern, and was all set to rent a wet saw for the job. Then, my wife and I went to a home show, and a "snake-oil" salesman was demonstrating a hand-held tile snapper with a tungsten wheel for $20 (came with other stuff too). I was really skeptical, but my wife bought it. Honest to God, I was so skeptical, but I ended up doing the whole job with it, I didn't break one single tile, and I had some full diagonal (16.5 inch) cuts. I have seen similar products everywhere since then, but none of them have a tungsten wheel, which is probably why it worked(?). I must say though, the tiles were less than 3/8" thick, some stock tiles from Lowes. I do have a couple of 13X13 tiles that are 3/8" thick, and to satisfy curiosity I am going to try and snap those.

Anyway, for 20 bucks it worked for me, so if you see one with a tungsten wheel, I would take a chance.

Dave

Old 02-22-04, 03:41 PM
B
Thanks for all the info guys, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a wet tile or a snapper with a tungsten wheel!

Bob

Old 02-22-04, 07:14 PM
D
If the tile has much texture at all to the surface you won't get a very clean cut with a clinker.