New bathroom

Old 02-22-04, 08:38 AM
Vinnemac
Visiting Guest
New bathroom

Making a new bathroom in my basment. Have been reading a lot a need to know a few things. I want to put caramic tile on the walls & floor .I'am using cement backer board in the shower incloser, is it alright to use Greenboard in the rest of the bathroom.Also which do you tile first floor or walls. Mastic or thin set Vinniemac

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-04, 10:08 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Are you going to put a wainscotte around the entire bath?If not then tile the shower first using thinset and then tile the floor.

You can use greenboard in the rest of the bath,just figure on where the tile is going to end then make the transition under where the durock ends and the greenboard starts.

If tiling the walls all the way around then tile the floor first and then cover with cardbooard or something after the grout has set up, usually the next day

Old 02-22-04, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Vince and welcome aboard.

The proper way would be to use greenboard in the rest of the bath, except for the lid, which should always be in 5/8" IMO. I know if you have 16"o/c the book says use 1/2", but if you're building this one rm from scratch, use the 5/8" & it'll last your lifetime w/o sagging with proper ventilation & primer/paint.

I'd use thinset, versabond is the brand I use aot, also have used maipei products both are good. Stay away from the premixed stuff, it's just junk!

What kind of drain system & pan are you using? Also have you considered ventilation in your plans? Definitely a must if you want a trouble free shower.

Stay on this same thread & it'll make things easier to follow. Post back with your questions & we'll walk you thru the process. Have fun!

Last edited by awesomedell; 02-22-04 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-23-04, 07:07 AM
Vinnemac
Visiting Guest
I poured a new concreat floor in the whole bathroom. tapered the shower stall portion to a drain in the center. put anew fan large enough to clear to room. Is it hard to tile the ceiling,Any tips? Vinniemac

Old 02-25-04, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Take a look at this link Vinnie, load of good info there, post back if you've still got questions.

Tiled Ceiling Tips