Tile floor squeak

Old 02-27-04, 09:20 PM
Angco
Visiting Guest
Tile floor squeak

I just installed (a month ago) 12x12 tiles over an existing tiled floor (2nd floor bathroom with a wet bed). My question is sometimes when I walk on the floor I can hear a faint squeak. the tiles seem to be down tight same for the grout. Can I just be hearing the studs underneath or am I headed for a problem in the future.

Any advice thanks
dan

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-04, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pretty hard to say what's causing this, don't have any hollow sounding tiles when you tap lightly on them do you?

Old 02-28-04, 07:59 PM
Angco
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure what they are supposed to sound like but they all sound the same when I tap on them. The tiles seem to be tight. If there are hollow spots does that mean my floor will fail and if so wouldn't eye see signs such as cracking grout. And since I am over an existing tile floor wouldn't gravity and grout be sufficient to hold the tiles in place?

thanks Dan

Old 02-29-04, 10:13 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
you would definately notice the difference between hollow and solid .A little squeek i would'nt be too concerened with if the tile underneath are good and sound then you should'nt have too many things to be concerened with here.I would keep an eye open for anything that seems like you may be heading for bigger problems though like the grout or tile cracking,or loose tile but other than that i think as long as you headed the advice on the bag and who ever you received you're info from before installing the tile then you wont have too many missed nights of sleep