ceramic and porcelain

Old 02-29-04, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceramic and porcelain

I've been looking at tile at Home Depot. My wife tells me that she want's porcelain instead of ceramic. I've looked at many of the tiles but very few of them specify which they are. Most just say "tile".

I could be wrong here but it also seems that many people use "ceramic tile" as a catch-all phrase that encompasses all glass-type tiles (both ceramic and porcelain).

What do I have to do to tell the difference between the two? I'm sure there are differences you can see by looking with enough practice. It would just be nice if the label said. PORCELAIN.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-04, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's the problem with the big bix joints, prices are great, but the service & level of expertise of the sales help is marginal at best in my experience.

Check out a real tile shop, town the size of Denver must have at least 5 or 6. My $.02, for what it's worth.

Old 03-01-04, 09:09 AM
MsTiggieWinkles
Visiting Guest
A thru-body porcelain is the same color all the way through it. Not all are like that but most are. If the tile has a complete different color then the glazing then its most likely ceramic. Price is generally higher for porcelain.....if the box has any water absorbsion info on it that says something like .3% to .5% or something or has a picture of a snowflake on it then its most likely a porcelain. HHHHmmmmmmmm.......It really should say somewhere on the box what it is though.