Kitchen tile

Old 03-02-04, 12:54 PM
rricebuyer
Visiting Guest
Kitchen tile

Am getting ready to lay tile in a 12x20 kitchen and a 7x12 utility room. Have many questions but will start with a few. Do I leave an expansion space along the edge and if so how much? Can I get a blade for my Skill saw that will cut tile or do I need a wet saw?

Old 03-02-04, 04:01 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this is the first and last tile job you will ever do, then you can just lay the field tiles and have Home Depot cut the edge tiles for you. If you anticipate doing a few small tile jobs, then those $100 plastic tile saws at the home center do a good job. If you anticipate doing big jobs with lots of cuts, then you probably want to rent a contractor-grade wet saw.

I recommend the middle route (the $100 wet saw) for most homeowners. Don't drop it or force it and it will provide good service.

I don't think the Skil saw solution is practical.

Yes, leave an expansion joint. Something that will be covered up by the baseboards and/or shoe molding. An eighth inch is probably enough (but I just made that up).

Old 03-02-04, 04:26 PM
rricebuyer
Visiting Guest
RE: Kitchen tile

Thanks John, also am going to put 1/2" plywood on top of underlayment and need to know what grade to buy. Also have looked at some of those $100 tile saws and they say they will cut up to 12" tile. The tile we have picked out is 13", willthis saw still work?

Old 03-02-04, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of plywood, use 1/2" cement board. Gives you a much better job.

If possible, go to one of the Home Depot DIY clinics for tile. You'll be glad you did.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: