Some random tiling questions

Old 03-03-04, 08:14 AM
EricT
Visiting Guest
Some random tiling questions

Getting ready to tile my master bath here in a few days.

So far, I have learned that it is really best for me to rip out the old vinyl. I do plan to do that, but I am wondering how tough its going to be to demo out the substrate beneath it? There is some layer of wood between it and the subfloor.

Also- I see at my local home depot, there is a 3/13inch and a 5/8inch mortarboard product. Does it really matter which?

I will have to pull out my toilet to do this. I assume there will be a need to cover the sewer pipe hole there, lest it get very smelly. Are covers available, or need I fashion my own?

This will all be marrying up to carpet at the door entrance. Should I buy a threshold to cover the two endpoints, or just double up the carpet and nail it down? I really have no idea on that one.

Also- on floor moldings- wondered what people thought of having the molding put in and the tile meeting it, or the molding over the tile. I have seen both done. Right now, if I can find matching molding, I plan to lay down the mortarboard first, then the molding, possible slightly spaced above the mortarboard. I have seen it put in where the installer didnt pay attention to depth, and ate up most of the molding. That looks kinda dumb, IMO.

And- picking myself up a tile saw, since the little cheapy guy costs less than a 2 day rental of the big nice one, and I may, all things going well, retile our kitchen and laundry room afterwards.

I think thats it. I picked up the how to tile 6$ video from home depot- shows you all the tools and stuff- but the job they pick, involves no mortarboard, over vinyl. What?!?! Dont buy that video.

Thanks guys

Eric

Old 03-05-04, 09:19 PM
EricT
Visiting Guest
Wow, I thought this post got dropped when IE died on me- but its here!

So I am gonna bump it, adding that...

I have ripped out mose of the vinyl substrate, down to the subfloor now.

Maybe I asked too many questions, so I will go slower.

I have the leveling compound stuff. Guy at HD said when it hardens, its like cement. How do I screw in the backerboard after its dry then? Do I just, not screw in there?

Also, wondering how much to space the backerboard from the wall, and... I have some gaps in my subfloor. The leveling compound will just fall down into the plenum below the house. Should I just tape it off?

EricT

Old 03-06-04, 12:01 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Sorry it took so long to answer this post eric.Remove the toilet base and the vinyl.Sounds like you have 1x6 for a subfloor which is o.k. but you need to use the 5/8 c.b.u. instead of the 3/16.You may want to leave that luan down to help keep the thinset from oozing down into the floor and loosing the purpose for even doing it in the first place.
Place the c.b.u. over the luan after getting all the backing off the luan ,or as much as possible anyway,using thinset under the c.b.u. while still wet screw the c.b.u. to the floor or nail using roofing nails every 2" on the seams and every 4" in the field, thwen use nylon mesh tape on the joints and with the flat side of the trowel burn the thinset into the joint to hold the tape in place then tile.

Don't put the base on until after grouting,oh, and leave a 1/4 gap around the perimeter of the room with the c.b.u.

Wher the carpet edge is use a piece of schluter metal at the door and then tack strip across the opening of the door so you can tuck the carpet into that schluter to give it a finished edge.

Take some paper and plug the hole where the toilet sits to keep the gas from enering the room

Old 03-06-04, 12:16 PM
EricT
Visiting Guest
Hey Floorman-

Thanks for the detail, although I have to admit you are losing me on some of your lingo. Sorry, I just dont have the flooring vocab... yet.

So I am hoping to be laying the backerboard today. Heres what I have done thus far-

Ripped up the vinyl, and the underlayment it was on. Down to the subfloor itself. Removing the toilet shortly- thanks for the tips on closing that sewer pipe off.

I am assuming CBU is concrete backboard underlayment, since you sound like you are referring to the backerboard. I have heard that thicker is better, I was going to try to stay on the safe side and do 1/4inch backer, so my tile plus backer doesnt get too high.

I dont know what a "luan" is, could you explain?

On the 1/4 inch perimeter, I leave that gapped until the backerboard is done, then I tile over that, right?

And on the subfloor- there are gaps in it, when I put the leveling compound in, it might slip through. Whats the trade thing to do, a little duct tape to hold it in? Hehe, no idea there.

Also on the leveling compound, it dries so hard, do I just not screw in where I pour it? I cant see how screws would penetrate. Of course, I am assuming its not plane, I havent spec'd that out yet.

Off to home depot for materials. I have more demo to do and toilet removal, I am not starting this one quite yet. Maybe later this afternoon.

Eric

Old 03-06-04, 12:29 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
by luan i mean the underlayment for the vinyl,now when you remove that are you looking at 1x6 boards or what?plywood with gaps?If you can leave the underlayment from the vinyl and use that to keep the thinset from oozing into the floor and yes screw it while wet.Leave the gaps at the wall when putting in the underlayment for the tile then tile slightly closer to the wall leaving about an 1/8 gap at the wall when tiled.

Ther are minimum requirements for subfloors when installing tile this being 1 1/8 of subfloor to accept tile and this will vary depending on the situation you are dealing with do not use the 1 /4 on this floor use the 5/8 trust me.

Also use a 1/4 by 1/4/ notch trowel for the underlayment before youo lay the underlayment into it to screw to the floor.Then you need a 3/8 notch for the tile install

Old 03-06-04, 02:03 PM
EricT
Visiting Guest
Hey Floorman, you are helping me out a ton.

I am a bit concerned with watching my total height on this project, so lower backerboard would be better. What is the diff, betseids the very minor cost differential, between the 1.4inch and 1/2inch in terms of properties? Would love to hear.

Thanks, Eric

Old 03-07-04, 09:20 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
the difference is in the stability of the thicker sheet,it is a lot more rigid than the thinner one and will provide a better substrate for the tile to sit on.It will not add anything to the structural integrity of the subfloor but it will be more stable for the tile

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: