Ceramic tile in basement bathroom?

Old 03-03-04, 08:43 AM
pw1972
Visiting Guest
Ceramic tile in basement bathroom?

I'm looking for some tips/feedback for my basement bathroom.

I finished it myself, its 1/2 bath about 7x10. The floor is concrete and had to be torn up to run plumbing lines, so the area's where it was cut is a little rough around the edges which I can probably smooth down.

I guess first, can I lay tile on the concrete floor? How level does the floor have to be? I've heard their are some mortars for ceramic tile that give you a little more play with rough edges because they are thicker?

I attached an image of the basic layout of the bathrooom, its a little rough but gives the general idea of how it stands. What would you recommend is the best direction to lay the tile? Aligned with the door? or aligned with the walls?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 03-03-04, 04:20 PM
beantown
Visiting Guest
I installed ceramic tile directly to my concrete floor and it has held up great.

I just cleaned it real good and mopped it to get all dust.
Not sure if I cheated using a 1/2" trowel for the 12 inch tile, but it has worked out great for our bathroom and wetbar in the basement.

The 1/2" trowel used a heck of a lot more thin set, but it gave me the little extra room to work with a few minor dips.

Everyone told me to level first with a self leveling compound, but I didn't think my application really needed it.

It's a shame you had to trench into your cement.

I got a SaniPlus unit from SaniFlo.
It runs the toilet, shower, sink and wet bar.
Nice clean install and it works amazingly well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: