Best way to remove old tile from a wall...

Old 03-06-04, 11:27 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to remove old tile from a wall...

Hi,

I'm going to re-tile the bathroom walls - I want to remove the old tile & old plaster wall/cbu. As a test, I took a couple of swings at the tile w/ a hammer (4x4" tiles, pretty old), they cracked & came out bit by bit. Is there a recommended way of removing tile quickly? Or should I not worry about the tile & try to remove the cbu/plaster, taking the tile w/ it? If nothing else, I'll use a pry bar & a hammer...

Thanks,
Bob

Old 03-06-04, 11:35 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
there is no easy way to remove tile from the old mudset wall system they are a b@#$% to remove.Wear gloves a dust mask and get lots of tissue cause you are gonna need it when you start cryin when you realize just how big a pain this is. let us know when you get it out and we'll go from there

Old 03-08-04, 06:33 AM
techwesley
Visiting Guest
Take a sawzaw with a 4 inch carbide blade and cut vertically along next to the wall studs. Then make one horizontal cut and should be able pry away the tile wall in large sections. It's still a messy job though.

-tw

Old 03-08-04, 08:01 AM
B
Boys- it was/is a messy job. I didn't imagine how bad it would be otherwise I would have hired that job out. The tile was on a mud base w/ a wire mess backing, I'd guess the entire width was easily 1 1/2" deep. I ended up getting ceramic cutting blades for my circular saw, they don't last long but at least they were cheap. Got 95% of the tile out, now to the wallboard.

BTW, besides tissues for the tears, I'd also recommend steel toed boots, when pieces come down - .

Old 03-08-04, 07:24 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
that mud set was there to stay thats for sure.I know what you mean brother i feel you're pain.Are you planning on using green board or durock for the new shower?rock would be the better of the 2

Old 03-08-04, 07:31 PM
B
Hi,

I'm using Durock around the shower area (where tiled), then green board for the rest.

Thanks for the input, at least I'm learning something! That mud set sure was heavy (I hauled away nearly 2,000 lbs. today - just in a 5x8' bathroom)!

By the way, I just posted a separate question regarding Durock, let me know if you have any input.

Thanks!

Bob

Old 03-10-04, 09:13 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
only to put the studs where the break is on the durock just like you would drywall.Good choices by the way on the greenboard and durock

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: