Backerboard problems?

Old 03-11-04, 03:59 PM
U
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backerboard problems?

I just started putting cement backerboard in our kitchen (the first room of a 700 sq. ft. tile project) and some of the edges of the backerboard are not level with the adjacent boards. There is a height differece of 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch. It's mostly due to the backerboard not being perfectly flat once it's down. (There was a slight bow in most of the pieces I got from Home Depot.) I wanted to know if this was going to be a problem when I start laying the tile. Will the thinset absorb some of the height difference?

Old 03-11-04, 07:17 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Should'nt be, what type is it?

Old 03-11-04, 07:59 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
The backer board is on ply wood with thin set between it and the ply?( under the cement board)?

Old 03-11-04, 09:16 PM
U
I'm using 1/4' Hardibacker, and yes it's thinset to the plywood and screwed down pretty well. Thanks for the help so far. My wife is really worried that all our tiles are going to crack. This is my first major home improvement project and if I screw it up she'll never let me try again.

Old 03-12-04, 01:52 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
MY WIFE WOULD NEVER LET ME TRY AGAIN

WOULD THAT BE GOOD NEWS OR THE BAD NEWS??

Old 03-12-04, 03:57 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Good news from where i sit eric .What size are the tile yu are going to put down?

Old 03-12-04, 04:07 PM
U
I'm putting down 12 x 12 ceramic tile.

Also, the Hardibacker website says that it shouldn't go over a concrete floor. What's your take on this?

Old 03-12-04, 06:39 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Isn't needed ,and no real good way to fasten it either.Make sure you use a 1/4 by 3/8 by 1/4 notch trowel to set that tile with.The 3/8 being the depth of the teeth,or they have these trowels out now that are rounded at the crest of the tooth those are acceptable also

Old 03-15-04, 08:49 AM
U
Thanks Floorman. You're a huge help. I laid backerboard for 15 hours this weekend. The tile is supposed to be delivered today. I'll let you know how it's going in a few days, and I'll definitely let you know if I run into any more problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: