Ceramic tile over vinyl tile

Old 03-11-04, 05:07 PM
joe123
Visiting Guest
Angry Ceramic tile over vinyl tile

Just bought a house and I found that the kitchen has ceramic tiles that were placed directly over vinyl tiles with glue?!. Now, there's a small area where the tiles seem unstable due to an imperfection in the floor. Should I simply rip out all the tiles and have it done right or can I get away with just repairing the problem area?

Old 03-11-04, 07:03 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Anything you do at this point my friend will only be a bandaid and you will have the same problem for the rest of you're life.Tear it all out and start over.If you want to find a good tile man and have him do it or do it yourself,we'll talk you through it

The bright side to this is that the tile should come out fairly easily

Old 03-13-04, 07:18 PM
hurstfam
Visiting Guest
Cool

I had cermaic tiles placed over vinyl in my master bathroom 12 years ago and never given me a problem. Installer used some type of glue on them. Held up great.

Well today we decided tired of the tile and needed a change. We just gave each tile a good whack with a hammer and they poped loose so nicely. Me and the little woman cleared approx. 200sq.ft. and cleaned up in less than 2 hrs.

Old 03-14-04, 10:56 AM
joe123
Visiting Guest
Angry Glue on tiles??

Contractors using glue on ceramic tiles? I'm a little confused. is this this a common practice on certain ceramic tiles or is it simply wrong to lay tiles in this fashion?

Please enlighten me.

Old 03-14-04, 11:09 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
no that is not the proper way to set tilethey were lucky they didn't have any problems i would have liked to have seen that though.The problem with sticking tile to the v.c.t. that is already donw is that you are relying on that tile to stay adheared to the floor and never releasing it's bond.
Also,there may be some wax or something on the face of the tile that you are not aware of and the thinset won't stick to that either so you have tile popping up.

So it's all a gamble and a roll 0of the dice sometimes you win and then you are s!@#$%^& in high cotton or you are taking yet another paycheck to fix the problem that you should have taken care of in the first place and not have to worry about wether the crack you see in the grout is the start of a major problem that will require earplugs(to keep the nagging sounds out)and tissue (for the tears) cause you will be cryin when you have to do this yet one more time.So the choice is up to you,let us know what you decide

Old 03-14-04, 11:25 AM
joe123
Visiting Guest
Talking glue

Thanks for the advise, Floorman. I'm not taking any chances. I'm ripping the ceramics out and replacing them with ceramic style laminate floors. Does the floor need to be prepped the same way as laying ceramic tile?

Old 03-14-04, 07:32 PM
hurstfam
Visiting Guest
The guys who put our tiles in years ago over the vinyl said the glue was made for this purpose. This was in a bathroom and the floor got wet all the time because my wife insists not drying off before getting out of the shower. Floor mat stayed soaked all the time. I really expected to have the tiles loose in this area but never was.

I can tell you after 10 years, we never had one loose tile or a single mortar crack.

We only ripped them out last night because we're ready for something different.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: