Puposely Broken Tile Mess

Old 03-15-04, 12:08 PM
lazisusan
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Puposely Broken Tile Mess

Okay...my "creative" mind got away from me and now I have a mess. Hopefully, someone out there can give me some help or ideas.
I "broke" 4 colors of tile and scattered them about the counter top. I used an "all in one" adhesive and grout...recommended by my local HD "pro" after explaining what my intentions were. The grout, today looks AWFUL! It has cracks, marks, etc. all through it - very sloppy looking!
I thought of applying "real" grout over it....and then I thought of just "shoveling" it off and starting all over. If I choose to start over, how hard would it be to take all this off ~ and how?
I just did this project Saturday and Sunday.

I must add, I've done this on smaller projects with success...using mastic and grout...I'm leaning toward blaming the product I used.

Thanking you in advance for any assistance!
Suzi

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-04, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It should pop up with a little effort. It all depends on how much the mastic has set up. Get one of those painters 5 in 1 tools to get the tile up. They're pretty stiff and work well for prying jobs.

As to the grout appearance, did you let the tile sit for 24 hours before you grouted? Did you mix the grout per the instructions (including slaking time)? Did you work with a clean grout float and clean water & sponge? Any (or all) of these can mess up a grout job.

Old 03-15-04, 02:53 PM
lazisusan
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply!
As for the grout...yes, I let it set up long enough - 48 hours. I used a PREMIXED adhesive and grout "all-in-one"...something I had never used. I previously used the type you mix, etc. I used a NEW float and new sponge and changed water VERY often...that's why I'm baffled.

Could I pick out some of the grout and apply new grout? or do you think I should just call it a lost cause and start over? I know the grout, at this point will not hold up.

Thanks again!

Old 03-15-04, 04:15 PM
You can try removing the old grout.........it may come up easily...........or it may not since it's that all-in-one stuff. I've never used it, myself.

Take you time and be prepared to use lots of elbow grease. If you have a lot to do, go to a tile place and get a grout saw. It can make the job a little easier.

Old 03-15-04, 05:03 PM
lazisusan
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice....and I might add...DON'T TRY THAT ALL-IN-ONE STUFF ~ even if it's recommended by a pro!!!!! Stick with what ya' know that works!

Thanks again,
Suzi

Old 03-20-04, 10:33 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
even if reccomended by a pro
that was the problem right there,hard to find those at h.d.

Old 03-20-04, 02:48 PM
lazisusan
Visiting Guest
Amen! I really should have stuck with my instincts! My husband and I have chisled out the tile, loaded it up, along with the empty buckets of "junk" and are going to take it to h.d.! Let them see how it shrinks, cracks, etc.

I spent so much time laying the pieces perfectly! It looked so good...until I came back the next morning to admire my handy work! (we did this in our guest aprt. of our home we are building)
Maybe if I lived there, and could watch it "curing" perhaps I would have "made" it dry more slowly by covering or spritzing it...but I just followed the directions! You'd think that would be enough....

well, onto my next project......

Old 03-20-04, 09:02 PM
Latex is for paint, not grout or caulk (imo).