Tile problem

Old 03-17-04, 03:56 PM
mark butkovich
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Tile problem

Bought a house with tile surrounding the bathtub that does NOT go to the rim of the tub.
Instead they left the last tile 1"+ above the tub and placed a plastic cove moulding around the whole tub and caulked that.
Water is getting behind the cove moulding and causing leaking in the basement.
I took the piece closest to the taps off and found mould in behind the cove. The cove was glued on (looks like PL Premium) and is very hard to take off.
Question: Should I take off the rest of the cove moulding? If so, what do I replace it with. It looks like I am not able to put a small 1" piece of tile in because there is nothing really to put the thin-set mortar onto. I am a bit perplexed.
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Mark

Old 03-18-04, 07:11 AM
carterarce
Visiting Guest
Can you get more of the same tile? I would remove the cove and tile down to where you can get some backing installed for the last tile they didn't install. You might be redoing all of the tile.

Old 03-18-04, 09:59 AM
mark butkovich
Visiting Guest
I might be able to get more tile, but there is no backerboard to adhese to.
I would have to use a glue that would end up being half attached to the tub rim.
Would it be better to take the full bottom tile off, add a 1" border tile and then put the full tile back in the correct position with the 1/8" - 1/4" gap, then caulk? I know I might have to cut the bottom tile but at least most of this tile would be on the backerboard and not be touching the tub rim.
Thanks again for the reply carterarce.

Mark

Old 03-18-04, 01:31 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would it be better to take the full bottom tile off, add a 1" border tile and then put the full tile back in the correct position with the 1/8" - 1/4" gap, then caulk?

Absolutely. It is a good plan to work with your situation.

Old 03-18-04, 04:25 PM
carterarce
Visiting Guest
sounds like a good solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: