Underlayment for ceramic tile-new house

Old 03-18-04, 08:11 PM
tbirdie
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Underlayment for ceramic tile-new house

My husband and I are building a new house and I would like to do ceramic tile in our ~400 square foot kitchen. Our budget is super tight, and in cost estimations it would be better to do a luan or exterior plywood underlayment rather than backerboard.
I did review the instructions under this website for appropriate underlayments but I am still a little nervous about doing something other than backerboard. Can anyone reassure me of the best way to go other than backerboard, that is most cost effective? We will put a 6 mil plastic underlayment under whatever we do. The wooden (plywood) subfloor has had three months to dry out thanks to our furnace so the floor shouldn't be damp at all. The dampness concern is because we live in SE Michigan and we get a lot of rain/snow at various times of the year.
Thanks!

Last edited by tbirdie; 03-18-04 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-18-04, 08:27 PM
ee3
Visiting Guest
You have me confused..is this over a concrete floor? If so you dont need backerboard or ply.If its cracked or wet you might want a membrane.Is there poly under the concrete?

Old 03-20-04, 09:40 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
you are not going to save that much more by using the c.b.u than you would using plywood or luan and then you remove the fear as well.

Forget the plastic unless you have a pool or a pond in the basement you won't need it.

But don't skimp on the underlayement cause this floor is only as good as what you put under it ,so if you skimp there then you are looking for trouble.I think you only want to do this once and hve to redo in the near future cause the subfloor requirements were not met.It's one of those pay me now or pay me later things only the later is three times as bad

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: