tile on tile

Old 03-22-04, 06:29 PM
laurij
Visiting Guest
tile on tile

Does anyone know of a product or adhesive that allows you to tile over existing tile? I have original hex tile that is in poor condition and my carpenter thought there was a product that would allow me to tile over the original floor.
Thanks!

Old 03-25-04, 02:17 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no pro but I did just this in a small bathroom. The tiles I covered with new tiles were the little 1" ones. They were not loose at all. I used thinset. It worked fine. I don't know if this would work on covering larger tiles since there is less grouting space that I think the thinset adhears too. Good luck.

Old 03-26-04, 08:54 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tiles

i did the same thing in my master bathroom. it had the same type of old tiles, i am no expert but i was instructed to use a underlayment don't know if its the same thing as thinset, but once the underlayment was dried and set, i installed my new tiles
with no problem upto date. that was three years ago. just my 2cents.........

Old 03-27-04, 07:46 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ceramic tile over tile

Install tile using a latex modified thinset mortar or mix a standard non-modified thinset mortar with an acrylic latex admixture instead of water. If you have glossy ceramic tiles, adhesion may be a problem, so remove and replace or install concrete underlayment board.

Do not install over cracked tiles, which is an indication there is movement in subfloor. Tear out damaged tile and/or install proper anti-fracture protection membrane before proceeding.
If you have loose tiles, remove and fill void with leveling agent.

If installing tile over existing ceramic tile, thoroughly clean floor to remove all greases, soap scums, waxes, sealers, etc.
Lightly sand the surface of existing tile to promote a better bond of thinset mortar to old tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: