cleaning new slate floor

Old 03-26-04, 07:54 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleaning new slate floor

I have a brand new slate floor in my master bath. According to my tile guy, it cannot be sealed for 45 days. When the plumber reset my toilet yesterday, he left a smear of toilet-sealing wax on the slate. How do I safely remove that stain?
Thanks for any advice you can give. Jo

Old 03-27-04, 08:55 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slate

Perhaps solvent cleaner will effectively remove wax on slate. Try some mineral spirits, paint thinner, denatured alcohol, or other. Solvents tend to be smelly and flammable, so take care regarding odor, sparks, flame, and ventilation.

Seal, clean, and maintain with products recommended for natural stone. Avoid use of household cleaners.

Old 03-27-04, 07:27 PM
D
rubbing alcohol will remove the wax and not leave any oily residue that petroleum based solvents will, and it's right in the medicine cabinet.

Old 03-27-04, 09:49 PM
E
I really appreciate your advice, and I even took some of it!

This morning I consulted with the tile wholesaler who sold the slate. His advice: Use Poultice, a clay-based absorbent and mild abrasive, so I bought some. On its label was the advice to try mineral spirits or the like first. When I got home, I found the first reply to my question, in this forum, from Super Moderator, who also advised use of a solvent.

I had some xylene (Goof Off!) in my cabinet. I remember years ago when I worked in a pathology laboratory, we used xylene to dissolve paraffin wax in processing human tissue samples for microscopic examination. So I tried it, and the spots are much better -- almost gone. Thanks for your help.

I didn't know rubbing alcohol would work. I'll try it next time!

Now I'm wondering -- Have I left an oily residue that will prevent the sealer from working when I put it on? The guy at the tile shop told me this a.m. that I should seal it right away, not wait for 40 days.

Old 03-27-04, 10:47 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cleaning slate floor

Goof Off is a great household solvent cleaner. Rubbing alcohol is the mildest that most common one that homeowners have on hand.

Sometimes it takes a stronger solvent. If you see no stain on slate, then a poultice is not needed. Sometimes oils and waxes get absorbed into porous natural stone and leave a stain, requiring a poultice to remove and lift stain. Sealed slate tends to be less affected by such stains.

I agree that 45 days is a long time to wait to seal a natural stone floor, which in the meantime is exposed to soiling and staining. Sealants should not be applied until grout has cured. I have encountered conflicting grout curing times. (Perhaps a stone and tile expert can provide us with a more reliable time frame for grout curing time). I have read that 3-4 days is sufficient. Some say Portland Cement Grouts take only 72 hours. It is always best to follow grout manufacturer's instructions. It depends upon the type of grout and the manufacturer's instructions, as well a sealer manufacturer's instructions for sealing.

The correct sealer for slate and grout will improve durability and stength of slate. For some general information and available slate sealers check out http://www.aldonchem.com/mt-slate.htm Based on my personal research, I find that most tend to prefer a penetrating sealer for slate floors and grout. It is important to read and follow manufactuer's instructions carefully regarding cleaning, maintenance, and reapplications of sealer to maintain floor. Never use a product that labels do not specifically state that it is safe for a natural stone floor.

Last edited by twelvepole; 03-27-04 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-28-04, 05:34 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
45 days is way too long as Mr. pole stated.1 week is plenty of time in an occupied house with permanent heat on.

Get a good penetrating sealer a stated before and make sure the floor is perfectly clean cause what is there before you seal is there for life after you seal

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: