straight grout lines

Old 03-27-04, 01:09 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question straight grout lines

Hi,
I have done 3 tile jobs so far about 100 to 200 sf each.
I ended up with small variations in the grout thickness, since my lines werent squared up towards the end.
How do you make sure the grout lines remain perpendicular to each other and dont shift as you go down the room?
I used the plastic spacers but still had this variation.

Thanks
Michael

Old 03-27-04, 01:33 PM
J
Not all tile are the exact same size and are not even square all the time, so maybe use a couple straight edeges and a framing square

Old 03-27-04, 11:21 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Straight grout lines

Grout spacers tend to offer straight grout lines if dealing with first quality tile. Less than first quality and bargain tiles tend not to be first quality because they are out of square. Thus, it takes some creativity to pull off a good looking tile job when dealing with less than first quality materials.

Old 03-28-04, 05:18 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
There are many different ways to acheive this as stated in the previous posts.You can grid the floor chalking 2 x 2 squres all over the floor or the straight edge method in which you get at least a 6' foot straight edge and then but the tile to the edge on the lower end of the tile( the tile closest to you) and then take that same edge and align the tile in the rows by laying it on edge in each of the individual rows and pulling the tile back to meet the edge,and finally there are the spacers which use religiously without fail it will give the best looking floor out of the 3.

The main thing to help you get a good looking floor is the use of lines make sure when you start the lines that you will use throughout the whole job(bible lines) are square you do not deviate from these lines at all,and then snap control lines as you go

Old 03-29-04, 03:49 PM
M
Thank you all for your suggestions.

The tiles I used where from home depot.
I guess not quality enough at $2 each.

Next time I will attemp the line method.
I guess I have to watch out not to cover the lines up with thinset!

Thanks
Michael

Old 03-29-04, 06:12 PM
D
Use a "laser". Can't beat it, you can project 100' of straight line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: