Installing Backerboard

Old 03-27-04, 04:08 PM
StaciH143
Visiting Guest
Installing Backerboard

I am tiling my relatively small galley kitchen and have torn up the vinyl, have laid out a grid on my floor for the backerboard and am cutting up the backerboard now to fit.

When I went to home depot to buy the mortar for the tile and backerboard, the guy told me I didn't need to mortar the backerboard if I was installing it on wood.

Is this true? Do I just need to screw the backerboard in?

Old 03-27-04, 05:45 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is better to use mortar under the backer board to bond it to the subfloor.
you can get more info here:

http://www.jameshardie.com/backerboa...stallation.php

I also recommend using the sqaure head screws they dont get stripped like the philips head ones.
good luck

Michael

Old 03-27-04, 06:44 PM
StaciH143
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I figured it was probably worth the time to do it right but wanted to double-check before mixing the mortar.

Also, if I lay the backerboard with mortar tonight, can I tile over it tomorrow or do I need to wait 24 hours?

Old 03-27-04, 06:51 PM
StaciH143
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I figured it was probably worth the time to do it right but wanted to double-check before mixing the mortar.

Also, if I lay the backerboard with mortar tonight, can I tile over it tomorrow or do I need to wait 24 hours?

Old 03-27-04, 07:01 PM
M
I would wait the 24 hrs, to make sure I dont loosen the bond between the backer and the subfloor.
Remember, the more solid the foundation the better the final outcome.
So if you can, let it sit for the full day.

Michael

Old 03-27-04, 07:16 PM
D
There is no need to wait as the thinset under the backer is only there to fill any possible gaps between the backer and the floor beneath. The screws hold it down, the thinset prevents hollow spots that can and will cause future problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: