Tiling a kitchen countertop - help please!!!

Old 03-27-04, 10:47 PM
Stoppa1010
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Tiling a kitchen countertop - help please!!!

Was wondering if someone out there could answer a couple questions for me regarding the tiling of a kitchen countertop?

I have a countertop shaped a bit like a "U" (actually more like this...

l
l______l

I want to tile with 12 x 12 porcelain tiles, but I am unsure where to start my layout.

Also, the tiles I am using are a faux venetian stone with a tumbled edge. When I make a cut with my wet saw, I lose that tumbled edge. I want the look to be consistant. Without the tumbled edge, I lose that "bevel" that makes the profile at the edge a bit lower. So, the hight of the edge that has been cut extends past the height of the non-cut tumbled egde. What can I do?

Last but not least, I am using matching v-caps to tile the edge of the counter top. However, the v-cap edge that sits on the top of the counter does not appear to stand as high as the edge of the 12 X 12s, even when they are up against a non cut tumbled edge with that lower provile bevel that I mentioned earlier. Am I installing these incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for an help you all can offer. If you need more specific details before you can answer any of my questions, please let me know.

-Steve

Old 03-27-04, 11:17 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tile on countertop

Tiles can be cut to accommodate countertop. Edge and trim pieces are very important. Make sure that you make a selection that offers these trim pieces.

http://www.doityourself.com/ceramic/countertops.htm

Old 03-28-04, 05:25 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
i would lay this out where ther are the least amount of cuts at the edge of the counter,probably starting in one of the inside corners and working out towards the edges on thee ends ,keep full tile along the front edge and put the cuts towards the back of the counter at the wall.You are going to end up with cuts on an edge somewhere along this counter put them in the shortest and most obscure part of this counter.

As far as the trim goes,build those up with mud when installing these to bring them up to the heighth of the tile

Old 03-28-04, 11:14 AM
Stoppa1010
Visiting Guest
Thanks! A couple last questions...

Thank you all. Two last follow up questions, if I may...

If I already have some of the v-caps installed, it there anything I can do to remove them without breaking them so that I can re-lay with more mud to build up the height as you suggested?

Also, Is there anything I can do with a cut edge to make it resemble the tumbled look?

Thanks again!

Old 03-28-04, 01:48 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
If they were set in the last day or two then they should come off fairly easily.Take a screw driver and gently tap into the end of the last one installed and gently pry outward and see if it will pop loose.

The edge on the stone that has been cut,i don't know,you could take the claw end of a hammer and tap on the edge maybe to roughen it up a little.Thats a hard one to answer good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: