Starting a Bathroom Tile project

Old 03-28-04, 06:47 AM
Rob Unhandy
Visiting Guest
Cool Starting a Bathroom Tile project

Much to my wife's chagrin, I want to install new ceramic tile in our small master bathroom. The tile is only around the shower/tub area. What's there now is some unmatchable yellowish tile that we both loathe.

Okay, so how do I remove the old tile? I've been to the site and have found out how to install new tile, but I need to get rid of the putrid yellow stuff first. How can I get the step-by-step for this?

Oh, please note my user name. The simpler the better!

Thank you!!!

Old 03-28-04, 06:58 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
Hi Rob and welcome,what you want to do is take a utility knife and score the drywall around where the tile ends,make a couple of passes so you cut all the way through.This will remove the drywall and tile all at once.You want to do this cause you want to put a cementitious backer unit (c.b.u.) where the drywall was,to adhear the new tile to.If the cut drywall does not end up on a stud then you can either cut the drywall back until you find a stud ,or add a stud behind the drywall where it ends when you cut it out.
Then when tiling you can run the tile just past that edge to cover it up.
Hope this helps

Old 03-28-04, 08:17 AM
Rob Unhandy
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much! That does indeed help!

Now, I have to worry about putting up the new cbu! I'm a 'scared!!! Should I be?

Old 03-28-04, 08:37 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
nope,treat it like you would a peice of drywall,break it on the joints and then tape the joints using nylon mesh tape and thinset using the flat side of a trowel to burn it into the c.b.u. let dry then tile away woo hooo!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: